Windows 10 - How to Auto-Create Subtitles for an MKV Video?

I have a very interesting documentary video on Tutankhamun but the subtitle file that I have obtained will not synchronize with the video - it seems that the FPS is a mis-match. Apparently, there are ways and means to rectify this but all I want to do is watch (and understand) the video not spend hours editing it.

Is there a reliable video subtitle generator freely available?

1 Like

Would this kind of idea be any use to you?

Convert Video to Text | Transcribe Video (360converter.com)

1 Like

That’s the sort of thing but the free service is limited to a few minutes - my MKV file is 50 minutes long.

1 Like

Ah, ok, that’s not great then.

1 Like

The problem is that a “converter” may take 50 minutes to create a subtitle file which may be of no use so I’d have to try another, etc … perhaps I’d be better just watching during the day and turning the sound up or wearing headphones or even adjusting the equaliser (that’s an idea … :115:) … :smiley:

Use Rebox.net and MKVCleaver to separate the video and subtitles into MP4 and .srt components then find out the discrepancy between the audio and titles. there are a number of sites that will correct this for free

If the subtitle file is a .ass file convert it to .srt, again just google for free sites to do this.

Don’t click on Rebox.net it is not a site but the name of a piece of software

MKV is like AVI just a container for various components

Thanks for the reply but I want something more immediate/interactive - I want to watch the video not spend time editing it - I may, for example, get halfway through the video and then decide that I don’t like it so all the time spent editing will have been wasted.

Any future enjoyment of the video has already been somewhat tarnished by repeated viewings of the first 5 minutes of the video as I used VLC’s subtitle tweaks to attempt synchronisation.

Since the documentary is recent (Nov 22), it is likely that an expert, with access to a utility like Media.io Auto-Subtitle Generator (AI-powered and $80 pa) will spend time generating a fully synchronised subtitle file.

In the meantime, I may try adjusting the sound quality with the equalizer.

:023:

Those programs are point and shoot you don’t have to watch or indeed do anything except tell them where to put the output.

You could always try

https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/search/subs