Win 10 worse than a blasted, pushy door to door salesman

Thanks JBR. I’ve had another read of all posts.

It’s funny Jazzi.
I had the funny little symbol like you but nipped into customize and set it to … Hide icon and notifications.

Mine’s gone but I did switch off automatic windows updates , along with hunting down and deleting the kb file.
The difference seems to be you’ve opted for checking your updates.

My options are for 3 different times for hiding, like, 1, 3 or 8 hours. So it’ll still appear other times.

So get rid of it permanently.

Jazzi, have you completely turned off Windows Updates? If you haven’t then you are still at risk.

If you have, and you are still seeing the notification stuff then do the following:

Open up Windows Explorer (the folder viewing program)

Look in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

If you see a folder in there called GWX then delete that folder and everything in it. That’s the stuff the update created when it downloaded. GWX stands for “Get Windows 10”

Delete that folder and reboot and everything should have disappeared.

Also Open Task Manager and see if there is a GWX.EXE process running. If so kill it with “End Process”

Cheers

Thanks Realist…that could be useful information. I’ll take a look next time I switch the PC on.

I followed all the instructions and changed my settings to NOT install updates automatically, or recommended updates or microsoft updates.
Also uninstalled specific update KB3035583
Then rebooted.
Computer is now throwing wobblies. Clock was stuck at 8 am this morning. The cursor keeps disappearing. The start button and shortcut buttons don’t work. Have just rebooted and it looks okay at the moment. Am off on holiday this pm and not back till 28th when I really really need to get some work done. But if anyone can shed some light on these problems, I’d be grateful.

Did you try installing Never10?

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

Thanks JBR - no I didn’t but I don’t think it’s about what I didn’t install, it’s about the changes I made to settings and removing that file!

ok. :slight_smile:

(Interesting. I posted in capitals and it didn’t like it!)

Disabling Windows Updates and removing KB3035583 have nothing to do with cursor or button issues. I’m guessing your mouse battery is running dry or your PC has other programmes running in the background.