Win 10 worse than a blasted, pushy door to door salesman

Lindyloo, you were told what you needed to do earlier in this very thread on 20th April after your first post. I assume therefore that you didn’t follow the advice/instructions. Why are you asking again for the solution? Just do it.

This was my reply to you back on page 6 of this thread:
"Have you not read the posts in this thread ??? I’ve posted exactly how to get around it. Just disable windows updates and uninstall the specific update KB3035583. It would take you about 2 mins to do, what’s the problem? "

I know!! If I can get my work finished early, I’ll have a go at doing that…
You’re absolutely positive it won’t change anything else? And I’ll still be able to download W10 foc in July?

All done! So hopefully will still have a working W8 computer when I get back from holiday and can reserve some time in July for Windows 10!

Thanks for your help.

Nothing can download if your PC is turned off, there’s no Wiifi connection!
thats why as soon as you turn on PC it updates because the connection is there again

Unless, of course, you turn off your router, modem or internet connection on your computer! A very wise tactic if you want to use your computer but need to be sure that it cannot download anything you don’t want. :smiley:

the wifii turns off before my machine does.

when my machine is updating the screen says DO NOT TURN OFF UNTIL ITS FINISHED UPDATING, and that includes not turning the power off.
if the machine is in “standby” or “sleep” mode then I would imagine thats possible,

think about it, all the PCs that are turned off in PC World, are not updating,thats why after purchasing and turning on for first time, it immediatley updates.
even on battery power, yu have to turn the machine on for it to use the battery! for example my machine is on battery power at 48% if I turn it off, and come back to it tomorrow the battery power will be the same, because, updates only occur when the machine is turned on, and updates can only occur when there is power available, by turning on the “ON” button

I deleted that file the other week, yet I still have that little symbol down in the right hand corner giving me the option to download W10!

I thought I’d got rid of the damned thing. Quick check and I don’t appear to have the file downloaded again, and again changed my settings to allow me to have say in what gets installed.

Go back to Post no. 6 on Page 1 of this thread onwards. There are several things that have been suggested. I think your answer will lie in one (or perhaps any) of those.

OMG

For a lot of you on this thread.

Get rid of your computer.

Get rid of your TV.

If you are a bit adventurous keep your Radio if you want to be informed

If not rely on Smoke signals.

Nothing wrong with W 10 just an advance from W 1993/7 or was that 8

Thanks JBR. I’ve had another read of all posts.

It’s funny Jazzi.
I had the funny little symbol like you but nipped into customize and set it to … Hide icon and notifications.

Mine’s gone but I did switch off automatic windows updates , along with hunting down and deleting the kb file.
The difference seems to be you’ve opted for checking your updates.

My options are for 3 different times for hiding, like, 1, 3 or 8 hours. So it’ll still appear other times.

So get rid of it permanently.

Jazzi, have you completely turned off Windows Updates? If you haven’t then you are still at risk.

If you have, and you are still seeing the notification stuff then do the following:

Open up Windows Explorer (the folder viewing program)

Look in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

If you see a folder in there called GWX then delete that folder and everything in it. That’s the stuff the update created when it downloaded. GWX stands for “Get Windows 10”

Delete that folder and reboot and everything should have disappeared.

Also Open Task Manager and see if there is a GWX.EXE process running. If so kill it with “End Process”

Cheers

Thanks Realist…that could be useful information. I’ll take a look next time I switch the PC on.

I followed all the instructions and changed my settings to NOT install updates automatically, or recommended updates or microsoft updates.
Also uninstalled specific update KB3035583
Then rebooted.
Computer is now throwing wobblies. Clock was stuck at 8 am this morning. The cursor keeps disappearing. The start button and shortcut buttons don’t work. Have just rebooted and it looks okay at the moment. Am off on holiday this pm and not back till 28th when I really really need to get some work done. But if anyone can shed some light on these problems, I’d be grateful.

Did you try installing Never10?

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

Thanks JBR - no I didn’t but I don’t think it’s about what I didn’t install, it’s about the changes I made to settings and removing that file!

ok. :slight_smile:

(Interesting. I posted in capitals and it didn’t like it!)

Disabling Windows Updates and removing KB3035583 have nothing to do with cursor or button issues. I’m guessing your mouse battery is running dry or your PC has other programmes running in the background.