Wild your garden with Joel Ashton

1 Like

And hereā€™s me thinking Iā€™m going to cut mine tomorrow if its nice :scissors:

2 Likes

Thing is Iā€™ve only a small garden now , if I left it to rewild it would look a mess .
Iā€™ve a few bee and butterfly friendly plants ā€¦Iā€™ve seen hummingbird hawk moths

3 Likes

Iā€™d love to let mine go, because its more natural that way. Trouble is the neighbours would team up and get it done for me :joy: Bringing the street into disrepute! :018:

2 Likes

If you had acres you could really go for it .
In my small garden I get bees drinking out of a shallow bowl of water and lots of bees and butterflies on a buddleia .
Living right on the coast there are only seagulls and starlings no songbirds .
My dog ate half a starfish the other day :astonished:

3 Likes

I love how you just casually flung that bit in! :face_vomiting: was he ok after he ate it though?

2 Likes

Yep I just thought Iā€™d mention it.
Was only half a starfish ā€¦must of been dropped by a seagull .
Dogs are disgusting :joy: he was fine .

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies, but i think that he means the hedgerows where you live, itā€™s difficult if you have a small garden, weā€™re the same. We have a Hawthorn hedge on the other side of our back wall but itā€™s the council who supposed to cut it. Itā€™s not that big to leave it but next time we would have to catch them before they do it, if they do.

1 Like

The council are supposed to cut ours too, but generally we end up doing it ourselves because - according to the council guys - they only have a 4 man team and have to cover a larger area. I donā€™t see why thats our responsibility, butā€¦its the way of the world now :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Itā€™s the same here, hubby usually cuts it but this year he didnā€™t get around to it, but they came around i think that it was in July when they can start cutting after the birds have finished nesting, but some birds go on after that.

1 Like

We have lots of big hedges around our garden .
The little birds like the hawthorns but we dont see loads of birds these days something is stopping them coming .
I think too tidy gardens is a problem and there are panel fences everywhere which donā€™t offer much for birds or hedgehogs .
The other reason might be sparrow hawks buzzards and kites that fly around although the two former are suposed to prefer carrion .

1 Like

Ok Today I found out why the birds are not coming .
A great big rat on the feeders .
So out with the traps ( humane ) see if I have caught anything tomorrow .
The new feeder which I put in the hedge has gone untouched by the birds but also has another customer .
A little field mouse ,so cute ā€¦ā€¦but where there is one mouse there is ten .
Whereā€™s that sparrow hawk when you want him ?

1 Like

Great that you found why the birds arenā€™t feeding and hope that you catch the culprit.