Why Patriotism Still Matters

It has been suggested that patriotism for one’s country is a bad thing. I completely disagree, When the chips are down, it’s only the patriots who will stand their ground and fight.

Here is the mayor of Kyiv, Vitali Klitschko. He could have left, he could be in a comfortable apartment out of sight, or he could be disguising himself - but he has chosen to fight shoulder-to-shoulder with his fellow Ukranians. For all the sanctions, rhetoric, and diplomacy, this is the kind of action that speaks the loudest, instills the most fear in the enemy, protects nations, and fills history books.

The only reason we stand as free nations is because of patriotism - and patriots, like this man.

2 Likes

Well it depends what that patriotism amounts to. If it means you think your country should screw every other country, then it probably is a bad thing. If it means you are willing to help defend your country when it is under attack, well you are just doing what anybody with a conscience would do. I mean, if you want to glorify that by calling yourself a patriot, well I suppose it’s fair enough.

1 Like

One does not need patriotism to do the right thing, any more than one needs a religion to be a good person. In fact many so called patriots are far right thugs & who use patriotism to justify what they know is unacceptable.

Patriotism/ nationalism in many ways is the original cancel culture. As it has too often been used to cancel out reasonable debate, as anyone who disagrees is “unpatriotic.”

1 Like

I was moved to tears by the action of the Ukraine battalion, who refused to surrender to the Russian army, stood their ground and the entire battalion was wiped out.
The commander’s last words as they faced the enemy were “Go fuck yourselves”
They were the Ukrainian border guards protecting Snake Island – just 40 miles from the Romanian border in the Black Sea – before the Kremlin navy opened fire killing all 13 of them when they refused to surrender

Patriotism or Insanity? You decide.

1 Like

Herein lies the problem.

Patriotism and nationalism are two very different concepts and too many are using them to mean the same thing.

Patriotism: “Devoted love, support, and defense of one’s country; national loyalty.”

Nationalism: "The policy or doctrine of asserting the interests of one’s own nation viewed as separate from the interests of other nations or the common interests of all nations.”

Mayor Klitschko is a patriot. Putin is a nationalist. Everyone should be a patriot; at times you may have to be nationalistic. Unfortunately, Putin is being a nationalist in the sheep’s clothing of being a patriot.

I’m very patriotic and want what’s best for our country and our children land grandchildren so and I believe that was staying in, and now rejoining, the EU

I so despise the sort of patriotism of the right wing extremists and the way they’ve taken over our flag so some people on the receiving end see it as representing racism and nationalism

That’s our flag, don’t let the Righties exploit and demean it, let’s take it back and let it represent the glorious, liberal and democratic country we are. lot of ‘em. They can never say why, just because we won’t agree with them on what’s best for our country and come round to their way of thinking guess :woman_shrugging:

I’m very patriotic and want what’s best for our country and our children land grandchildren so and I believe that was staying in, and now rejoining, the EU

I so despise the sort of patriotism of the right wing extremists and the way they’ve taken over our flag so some people on the receiving end see it as representing racism and nationalism

That’s our flag, don’t let the Righties exploit and demean it, let’s take it back and let it represent the glorious, liberal and democratic country we are.

Heartbreaking, but patriotism. No doubt. :ukraine:

Maree, I appreciate your views. There is so much confusion about patriotism and nationalism that it’s obvious that this a serious gap of education here and there. I wonder how many people and nations confuse the two? We need to get these lessons back into the classroom.

Yes, “patriot” sounds more noble than “nationalist”, that is probably why right wing nutters try to justify their brutality in its name.

Yes & no. Patriotism derives from the word “patriot.” Which derives from a Greek word for fellow-countryman or cultural linage member, patriotes, which it’s self is a derivation patris, or father/ fatherland.

Many people now choose to separate the words to suit their own ends, but the words have always, that is, historically. Been closely linked & interchangeable, depending upon usage. For as Professor C E M Joad always said on the BBC series, the brains trust. It depends what you mean by the word.

Words do not only have one meaning.

It’s like everything that is essentially good. Some nasty piece of work will try to use and abuse it for their own ends. Be it patriotism, religion, education whatever

Look at the way all the politicians were all putting bigger and bigger flags in their offices a while back. To try to convince us gullible public that theirs is the party of patriotism and the other parties and anyone who doesn’t agree with them or vote for them must be unpatriotic

What a pathetic load of flag wagers That’s just using patriotism to their own ends

1 Like

Precisely.

1 Like

You wanted to say “wankers” but lost your nerve at the last minute didn’t you? Go on, admit it. :grinning:

1 Like

I admit nothing :rofl:

1 Like

Anyone else remember the Jelly-bellied Flag-flapper in Stalky and Co?

What’s Stalky and Co?

Insanity and pride, I think. Being unable to let the enemy win even though the situation was hopeless and their dying did nothing to help their country and it was a waste of life.

I wonder if they all really agreed or if they felt under pressure?

If it were my son or daughter I’d want them to let it go and live to fight another day

It’s an old Rudyard Kipling novel about a group of boys in a military school

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalky_%26_Co.