Why only specsavers for eye tests

Thank you for your email to the Department of Transport (DfT) regarding our appointed
opticians, Specsavers. It is usual practice for Ministers to direct correspondence of this
nature to the department with responsibility for the issues raised. Therefore, your email has
been sent to us. I have been asked to reply.
I must explain that an individual can submit the results of their eye examination results from
another optician in support of their application to renew/reinstate their driving entitlements.
However, in most cases this can only be used as supporting evidence. As you are aware,
before a licensing decision can be made, they are usually required to attend an
appointment with Specsavers. I note your concerns about this matter.
I must explain that Specsavers have been appointed to carry out vision tests for us on
behalf of the Secretary of State for Transport and we are unable to apply any
discretion in implementing this requirement. The Road Traffic Act 1988 requires that all
drivers undergoing a medical investigation that requires a vision test can only attend a
Medical Practitioner appointed by the Secretary of State. Our contract with Specsavers
is designed to ensure a consistent approach in testing. All Specsavers optometrists are
registered with the General Optical Council, which is mandatory in order to be able to
practice.
Your concerns regarding current backlogs of eye tests that Specsavers may be
experiencing have been noted. Please be assured that our contract managers monitor the
performance of Specsavers services and set out our requirements for managing underperformance should they fail to satisfy all of our requirements.

all I can say is Backhanders come to mind

1 Like

For a governmental system that constantly bleats on about the advantages of privatisation, it does sound a bit monopolistic.

This is the explanation in the letter in the OP. Whether you believe this is the real reason is another question.

Perhaps you should just drive to barnard castle to test your eyesight, it’s worked before…

2 Likes