Why has car insurance gone up so much

Last year I paid £210, this year the quote is £325. Comparison sites not much different. The dog one is a joke at £800. True, I had a bump with another driver and her insurance paid. My insurance said my no claims was not affected. I was told £50 of the increase was to cover for the uninsured driver and whiplash claims. I gotta pay but not a happy bunny. 'spose I could put my wife down as main driver…

Premiums are not cheap here either but at least they insure the car not the driver so anybody (with a licence) can drive my car. The only difference is the excess goes from $400 to $1000 for a driver under 30.

Same here. You don’t need to pay for uninsured drivers and you save money if you stipulate that only you and your wife drive the car.

Insurance changed in that they can no longer offer new customers discounts over existing customers, you may find cheaper policies online, but these don’t include the extras you are paying on your policy, if you’ve had a bump, even if it wasn’t your fault, you are seen as a greater risk and your insurance will increase.

LV are who we use for car insurance.

1 Like

Same here. Who knows what the renewal options might bring forth in December?

Just had my renewal through - it’s doubled :icon_eek:

They say:

We appreciate your renewal price may be higher than expected. Unfortunately, increasing motor industry costs are driving this. We encourage you to shop around to check if you are able to find the cover you need at a lower price.

But what do their profits say - if they have increased then that means they are plain lying - wonder if in that case there will be some class action lawsuit against them for that?

#greedflation!

Ha! Just received my building insurance for 2024 - $2300 - blame it on the 2020 bushfires and a wooden house.

Fast forward to 2023. Car insurance renewal now £450. Compared with other companies but all a joke. Best one comes in at £580 and dog one comes with a free laugh at £1000.

Can you still insure just for ‘Third Party Fire and Theft’?
Might be worth considering if you drive an older vehicle because you’ll get sod all for it if it’s written off.
My present vehicle is 3 years old, but I fancy buying a classic car. something that doesn’t have all the bells and whistles of this new rubbish, and an engine that I know something about.

and me. 15 years and cannot see me moving. I made 2 claims in 3 years. One was a no-fault and other was with an uninsured driver with false plates. LV only raised my premium by insurance claim cost increase percentage of 30%…

Makes you think they’re all in cahoots with each other doesn’t it?

You can, but if you’re in an accident and get hurt, you’re not covered - they should ban that option imo.

1 Like

Loads of cars getting stolen everyday here in London, nearly new Land/Range Rovers are favourite, getting shipped to Africa, rumour has it. The reason it’s so easy is because no key is required to open the door and drive it away.

I thought that’s why premiums were so high. Bring back proper keys.

1 Like

I’ve got my car insured with Hastings Direct. No doubt they are rubbish at paying out, but they are the cheapest according to every comparison site I’ve tried.

I just went on admiral.com and got it for £7 a month more than last year’s premium - so quite a bit better than GoCompare.

I didn’t think to try them - will check them out next year (maybe we need a thread for “Direct Car Insurance Companies” which lists such companies)

1 Like

I can’t honestly see anything on the latest vehicles as being progress, in fact most of the stuff just helps to take concentration off the road and is a step backwards.

1 Like