Why Eight Hours a Night Isn’t Enough, According to a Leading Sleep Scientist

More research on sleep. According to this scientist, 8 hours a night is not enough sleep.

So little is known about sleep, but so many judgments are made about it.

It has almost become common wisdom that people need 8 hours of sleep a night, but do we?

How many hours of sleep do you get a night?

I am lucky if i manage to get 4 hours a night.
And it has been made worse since lockdown.
I think we are all different so shouldn`t worry about scientific so called experts,who by the way will change their mind in a couple of years.

3 Likes

What makes him a leading scientist? And even if he is, it still is an individual opinion that needs verification.
It all depends on so many factors. Genes were mentioned, so were chronotypes. Another one is age and whether you are healthy or have health issues, etc. pp. Some are in favour of after-lunch naps which reduce the hours of sleep at night. Recent research also suggests that too much sleep may even be counterproductive. There’s consensus that anything between six and eight hours is fine while getting fixated on no less than eight hours seems too rigid given the diversity of people. It seems questionable if people check with the stopwatch how long they are in bed to make sure they get that half an hour more sleep per day.

I usually sleep between six and 7 hours which may rise to eight hours if I have been physically active.

Since I retired, I only set a wake-up alarm if I have to be up extra early for a specific reason. The rest of the time, I just wake up naturally when my body is ready to.
Occasionally I may sleep a full 8 hours but that is quite rare.
I would have guessed my average is nearer to 7 hours - but I don’t need to guess because my watch has an activity tracker which monitors pulse rate etc and gives me a read out of how long I sleep each night - it tells me that my average for the month of February was 6 hours and 48 minutes.

I do find it interesting to look at how my sleep is divided into long periods of “light sleep”, interspersed with just a few short periods of deep sleep.

My watch tells me that last night, I slept for 6 hours 52 minutes - most of that was light sleep, with just 5 short periods of deep sleep totalling 1 hour 35 minutes. I remember being jolted awake about 1.30 by a loud noise outside but the chart on my watch shows my wake period as only 5 minutes, so I must have drifted back into my light sleep very quickly.

It takes a lot to wake me up until I’ve had enough sleep - when I had to get up early for work, I used 3 different alarms - a radio alarm and 2 alarm clocks, all set about 10 minutes apart, because I quickly drift back to sleep if I’m still tired! Nowadays, I can just press “snooze” on my mobile phone alarm - but if I have to get up before about 7am, I still set a second alarm to go off half an hour after the first one, in case I sleep through it!

1 Like

I just start to feel tired after about nine or nine thirty and usually make my way to bed at ten.
I very rarely remember anything after my head has hit the pillow. Apart from three or four visits to the loo through the night where I don’t really wake up, its about sixish when I wake proper. Perhaps a bit later in winter when its dark, but once it gets light in the summer I’m awake early.
I suppose if I got used to staying up late I would sleep longer, I believe that you should stick to a routine and you’ll not go far wrong.

1 Like

Is this scientist “Sleepy Bear” by any chance. :icon_wink:

Do you have to mop the floor in the morning?

My DNA analysis confirmed I’m a night owl. When I have had the opportunity to let my body do the talking, my body has woken about 9-10am regardless of what time I go to bed. I have figured out that I should have moved to the Azores years ago.

1 Like

I’ve never liked sleeping and I can’t remember the last time I slept 8 hours

I think too much sleep makes me lethargic, headaches and slow to wake up

6 hours is my peak, I can manage on 5, less than that and I get a bit strange! :rofl:

2 Likes

Yes Maree, not enough sleep I get a bit normal :icon_wink:

Sometimes I’m barely able to stand Mr Smith, so I always sit, and occasionally start to drift off… :zzz:

1 Like

I haven’t slept through the night/early a.m. for years. I wake at least two to three times for a wee. I have tried not drinking after 8 p.m. but it doesn’t work.
I get up around 9 a.m. unless I set the alarm because I have to get up earlier, like this Saturday & that is 5.30 a.m. so I’ll not get much sleep Friday when I go to bed. Bed time is around midnight, any earlier & I don’t get to sleep til 2 a.m.

1 Like