Why don't they want you to eat eggs

I used to incorporate eggs into all my chicken casserole recipes, but I abandoned that practice after coming across distressing articles detailing the harsh treatment of chickens on farms. I find it disheartening.

Eggs are too tasty not to eat anymore. Just make sure you know where the eggs come from.
Mine come from ā€˜Happy Hensā€™ at least thatā€™s what Tesco are telling meā€¦
:sunglasses:

Some people pay a premium price for a bit of slick advertising that cons them into thinking the eggs they are buying come from Happy Hens - the truth is far from Happy :cry:

I live in an agricultural area with a lot of egg production so I am aware of what a horrific business intensive egg production is.

The above link is about an undercover investigation into Happy Egg Company units in Cumbria, Gloucestershire and Herefordshire - it was published around the same time as a planning application for a ā€œfree rangeā€ egg production unit was being fought against by some of our nearby villages in North Yorkshire.
They have been fighting this plan at every stage for more than 2 years now - at the latest appeal the scale of the plan was reduced from 3 giant sheds to 2 giant sheds of 10,000 sq metres each - thatā€™s each shed covering nearly 2.5 acres of ground, stuffed full of 64,000 birds per shed.
From what Iā€™ve seen of egg production units, ā€œFree range eggsā€ is a bit of a misnomer - and the PR that shows some of the hens happily foraging outdoors conveniently doesnā€™t show them when they are all crushed into the shed.
This is what the Villagers thought of the latest plan to bring another industrial sized egg production unit here

IMG_1137

1 Like

How about these happy chickens boot?

2 Likes

If we didnā€™t have Eggs, how would we get to work?

2 Likes

they look eggstatic OGF

2 Likes

They all ran to the fence to watch me walk past Annieā€¦I have many female admirersā€¦
:sunglasses:

3 Likes

I think weā€™re lucky because the butcher up the road has free range eggs from here

They donā€™t sell to supermarkets and the eggs are always lovely and fresh

Plus their policies on hens seem good and there are photos of the chickens on their Facebook page that look OK

I think itā€™s worth checking where your eggs come from and trying to get some local if you can

2 Likes

My eggs come from a henā€™s arse but they still taste good

3 Likes

Yup, one hole does it all :rofl:

2 Likes

Did you check Maree? I did, got to keep an eye on Bruceā€¦
:face_with_monocle:

Time to eggxit :grinning:

1 Like

Eggs are my favourite food. I eat 'em all the time.
I do think people are rather eggxagerating on this thread though.

2 Likes