Why do the old farts of Conservatives keep dragging this country down

Why are the older members who are collecting dust in their seats being allowed to take us back down that road.
The EU are being so nice to us allowing us to sit under their table and collect crumbs.

About time we got back to where we were before the lunatics took over the asylum

1 Like

Because they bare answerable to no one.

I read the article and the only Tory mentioned who could maybe be said to have “a seat collecting dust” (i.e. an unelected seat as a life Peer in the House of Lords) was Lord Heseltine.
Is that who you were referring to? Or have more of the old farts in the Tory Party been supporting this proposal?
Is he not allowed to pass a personal opinion?

In what way is he or any other old Tory fart “being allowed to take us back down that road”?
Wouldn’t that be up to the currently elected MPs in Government / Parliament to decide how to deal with any official proposal if and when it is put to them?

As far as I could tell, the proposal is still in the planning stage and hasn’t been discussed and agreed on with all the EU member states yet, so no invitation has been made.
Judging by how long these things take to discuss and to reach agreement on, the Tories may not still be in Government by the time the EU are in a position to make any formal invitation for Associate Membership.

1 Like

Well some one is discussing it if the media have hold of it aren’t they.
We shall see in a week or two’s time who crawls out of the woodwork.
It may just be like the TATA situation where as it is mentioned that they are to be given yet another grant and then within days they have got 500 million to go shopping with.
Just like the first grant it will be spent in other countries that they have investments in like India, or perhaps Holland will need more new Rolling Mills.

It is being discussed because a report has just been presented within the EU.
The idea has not originated from UK - it is an idea put forward by a group of academics from the EU about EU reforms and several alternative types of EU memberships.
It’s not all about the UK

U.K. won’t be the only country who may be invited to join, if this suggestion ever gets accepted by the EU countries.

At this stage, the report has been published as a topic for debates at upcoming summits of 46 European countries and an informal gathering of the 27 EU leaders on successive days in October in Granada in Spain.

The report does not represent the official position of the EU or any member state - it’s a document for discussion.

As usual, British press get hold of it and make it all about Britain and start a hare running, as they usually do.

I like to cross bridges when I reach them - what’s the point in getting all het up and anxious about an invitation you may never receive?

Well as someone who voted to stay I hope this cunning plan materialises.

I haven’t felt any benefit I haven’t felt the love since leaving the EU
Indeed The UK the only major economy that remains smaller poorer since before the pandemic .
Brexit maybe to blame.
Brexit I believe exposed the weakness in the British economy
Add to that low productivity low investment and the governments inability to come up with a plan of action .

3 Likes

Yes, absolutely. It would be a start to putting right the damage the Brexiteers have done to us and our country

And go a little way to restoring our international reputation after the Brexiteers showed us up as a country that betrays it’s allies and commitments

Co-operation with our nearest neighbours surely makes more sense?

2 Likes

Yes you maybe right Ripple but I can honestly say I was one to those that stood by my guns and said enough is enough.
Taking orders from the French/Germans/Belgium’s changing our laws and taxes when ever they felt like it and soon those eastern block terrorist hangouts like Turkey and Egypt to mention a couple whilst it was costing our country fortunes to subsidise their country’s. and they were laughing quite openly behind our backs.
The only problem lay in the preparation and although it was a few years getting the referendum up and running we finally did the only surprise was it was rogue Conservatives that made it happen.
They obviously never had a plan of how they were going to handle it hence the PM walk out May then followed then Boris and Truss and now we have that fella Sunak that just loves to give our taxes away to his own family members who you can guess as shares
in TATA.

So yes preparation was needed but to say as a country we screwed up I would have to disagree and say it was Conservative’s they did such a terrible job of getting prepared thats if they actually wanted to,I am believing it was just a few rouges who wanted to shake up the back bench brigade and it all went wrong costing the country billions upon billions and leaving us in dire straits.
So yes I can see returning is not out of the question but I am very hopeful that a new Government will step forward one that wants what is best for the people and with more power than we had to stop those dictators of the EU.

and do you really believe that returning to the EU might get us MORE powers?..lol

i once voted for a common market, it was sensible, but a European Union run by Germany and France [who have both long admired the UK from afar
NOT]
 i would never join a union that refused equallity
 german and french pensioners get about double what the UK pensioners get
 what kind of fool might sign to join that union?

1 Like

Hi David I’m sure everyone has hope the general election will bring forth a strong leader and government ready to tackle problems for a start the languishing economy.

2 Likes

Well this statement confirms that when you voted leave you in fact did not understand how the EU works. Your guns were poorly informed. I’d set them aside rather than stand by them.

Gosh - quite a lot of errors here. If you look at terrorist actions in Europe you’ll note that most of the perpetrators lived in Western Europe. Including in the UK. But that’s irrelevant because there is zero chance of Turkey and Egypt joining the EU. I know that the lovely (cough) Farage said Turkey was about to join - but he was lying to you. Yes he was and he knew it.

But your rambling criticism of the tory government is well made. Even if we set aside the whole Brexit debacle, please, you just have to look at the (1) damage and lack prosperity building that is austerity; (2) the huge error of many years too many of QE and the hundreds of billions that cost us; (3) the mis-handling of PPE before and during the epidemic that cost us more hundreds of billions; (4) Truss and her idiot chancellor’s ‘budget without preparation’. We could go on. However it has been the dumb young Turks of the tories (Cameron, Truss, Johnson, etc.) who have made all the mistakes - not the old guard.

1 Like