Why do people buy these dogs?

Totally agree.

It’s because the public are blissfully ignorant of what goes on behind the scenes to produce these types of dog but the same can be said about our food. If we were more aware of how animals are treated to produce our bacon or our milk, I’m sure we would all think twice before buying it.

That is exactly why I don’t eat pork .
I will eventually give up meat altogether I think.

I think most people would if they could see what happens. :cry:

my parents always had a dog, the first one I remember was a spaniel, a beautiful friendly intelligent dog, they got it from a farm…I don’t mean a doggie farm…just an ordinary farm that had too many dogs…he was just a pup when they got him, and lived for 9 years…next one was a wee mongrel that my older brother brought home because I couldn’t stop crying when our spaniel died,he too was a lovely natured wee dog, we had him for years too, when he died my parents said they wouldn’t get another one, till one day my dad was sitting outside on the doorstep, when this little dog walked past and came and sat beside him, we found out that he belonged to a widow who couldn’t look after him and asked if we wanted to keep him, he was a wee cairn terrier, none of my parents dogs cost them any money, but they were priceless

I think there needs to be a certain price level on ‘popular dogs’ (let’s face it, what’s popular and what isn’t changes over time). If there wasn’t, then any old scum bag could get one but I do object to breeders tripling their prices and making dogs a target for thieves.

But any old scum bags get them anyway !
Having the purchase price doesn’t make people dog friendly .
Worse are the scum bags who breed and sell these poor animals.

True.

I have just seen a so-called breeder of some Bulldogs, advertising them for £5,000 per pup!!!

She has TWO litters apparently.

Does anyone honestly think they will stop breeding these dogs while they can sell them at that price?
One puppy alone would have easily more than covered the C.Section.

Buyers will probably spend that much again on veterinary fees and insurance problems all its life.

Personally I think people should learn about the breed of dog they are thinking of getting BEFORE, they get it.
I knew all about Old English Sheepdogs as my folks used to breed them, when we got Dageus he was the first dog who hadn’t been an OES, and I read up on the “black” Golden Doodles as much as I could soak up. But then that’s just me…

On the other hand …

North Korean dictator Kim Kong-un has ordered citizens to hand over their pet dogs — so they can be killed for food.

The hermit state says pet dogs are now considered a “decadent” luxury and “a ‘tainted’ trend by bourgeois ideology,” and must be surrendered, according to a report by South Korea’s Chosun Ilbo media outlet.

From the National Post

Yes I read that Vlad.
The poor people of North Korea ( barring their tubby ruler ) are starving.
The poor dogs .

What a state for a country to get itself in. :shock:

Yes Roxy, I agree and said this in post 3.
Of course that could only be done with pedigree dogs though, and not all these ‘designer dog’ crossbreeds being churned out too.

It’s surprising how many people think a crossbreed will be healthier too. They don’t seem to think that it won’t if it was bred from unhealthy parents with hereditary faults!

It’s a nightmare nowadays, with so many crooks about.
Even so-called pedigrees can have false paperwork so checking the paperwork can be dicey even.
I used to know someone who often provided false paperwork with her puppies, and the buyers hadn’t a clue.

I can hardly believe that Vlad.
I can’t think about it, else I will imagine it and not forget it. :frowning:

:023:

Mrs LD also researched for months before we got Murtagh. Mind you, it is said they are not ‘Barkers’.

:shock:

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/fingers-in-the-ears-smiley-emoticon.gif

That little fat boy, cut up, could feed the whole Nation.

I remember hearing something similar during war time when dogs were put down because they could not be fed. :cry:

L D what a good idea…and for more than a week

Yeah, he doesn’t look exactly thin and starving himself, does he! Those poor dogs are probably for his own freezers, anyway.

I hope his horse makes it.