Why do orchestras/choirs need conductors?

The players/singers know what to do.
What is the purpose of someone standing up front flailing their arms around?
Also, are all conductors male?

2 Likes

A symphony orchestra can have 100 odd players,16 1st violins, 16 2nd violins, 12 violas, 12 cellos, 8 double basses, 4 flutes ā€¦ and so on, known as sections. Most of the time theyā€™re not all playing at once. When a section starts up theyā€™ve got to be together as one, so timing is all important. By contrast, a pop group typically has say 4 sections, one player in each. If oneā€™s half a second out, no one would notice and anyway heā€™d soon fall into place, heā€™s got a beat to follow.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll have to ask my friend up the road. Her son, who I do speak to when we meet in the road, is a conductor (heā€™s very musical, it seems). I too have often wondered this.

2 Likes

I think this will explain it.

2 Likes

When I was in the orchestra, I just did my own thing, it seemed to work.

2 Likes

Yeah but you can take the music in new directions, off on tangents, but the bloke next to you blowing the same trumpet must be in the same groove. Watch the conductor, when he looks at you, nods then then twitches the baton, blow.

2 Likes

The Conductor said ā€œGive that boy a Mars Barā€ must have been doing something right, against all the ā€œPoshā€ kids :laughing: :icon_wink:

1 Like

Obvious really.

If they travel by bus who would they give their fare to if they didnā€™t have a conductor?

2 Likes

When was the last time you travelled by bus @Bruce.I do occasionally and I canā€™t remember the last time the driver took cash and as for a conductor, it must be at least 15yrs since Stagecoach had any of those 2 crew busses and maybe longer.

@Bretrick IMO the most important point is that the conductor actually conducts the piece. I/they decide of how the piece is to be played, at which temp and with which atmosphere, They are the master of everything unwritten on the sheet, and they also are the master of everything actually written on the sheet if they deem so to be necessary. Without a conductor to control how the piece sounds to the audience, the sound could be chaotic and nothing resembling what the composer had intended.
As for the female of the species, there are several I could name, but I doubt if you would recognise any of them. I will however, name one who IMO is the best to brandish her baton, the French conductor Ariane Matiakh. She features regularly on Classic FM Radio and below she directs the Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra.

3 Likes

I borrowed a lot from the library,It was always the Berlin Philharmonic with Von Karajan.Iā€™ve heard the same stuff since and it can sound so different with a different conductor.

2 Likes

Exactly, thatā€™s why an orchestra needs its own conductor.

1 Like