Why Can’t l Reheat My Chicken?

There was a time when even ordinary raw vegetables, such as potatoes, parsnips and carrots, had “Do Not Reheat” printed in the Usage instructions on M&S bagged veg - I remember there was a bit of a fuss about it a few years ago, when there was a drive to stop wasting food, and M&S were called out for encouraging waste.

I think M&S were shamed into removing this instruction from their raw veg eventually.

1 Like

Maree, crazy isn’t it.
I have made batches of things for years, then portion them up and pop them in the freezer.
Casseroles, Curry’s, Chilli, Soups, etc. They all have to be reheated, either from frozen, or defrosted.

And what about if you buy a ready meal? There are many complete dinners of meat and vetetables in the supermarkets, and they all have the heating instructions printed on the packaging, you don’t have to eat them cold!

1 Like

Yup, I think they’re just covering their butts in case anyone sues :wink:

And I just looked at the M&S web site and they’ve got recipes for Christmas leftovers including, you guessed it, reheated turkey!

:turkey::fire::turkey:

2 Likes

It’s mid March. Not entirely convinced that those leftovers would be entirely healthy lol

4 Likes

Don’t be such a princess, eat your leftovers and be grateful :rofl:

3 Likes

I believe the modern parlance is… euw.

Get it down you, girl :rofl: You’re not leaving the table until you do!

1 Like

Oddly enough that’s what my eiffel tower boyfriend used to say to me lol

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

OTT advice, like sell by and use by and pretty much all advice from authorities these days. Use common sense and you will be fine.

2 Likes

Hi

Times have changed, in particular with chicken.

They are now produced in huge units, 200 to 250 thousand birds, and from day old to slaughter is 5 weeks, which is not natural.

Disease transmission is much easier and they then go to industrial sized killing and processing plants which handle millions a week.

Again, disease transmission is very easy and affects far more birds even after a simple fault.

Antibiotic resistant bugs are common now, and the type of food poisoning has now changed.

Camphylobacter is more common than salmonella and certain varieties , such as jejeuni can be transmitted from the packaging.

Jejuni can cause sepsis, which is not what you want.

Ready meals etc?

Packed in nitrogen, which stops the bacteria growing, so can be reheated.

Do you have nitrogen in your kitchen?

You cannot safely batch cook without a food thermometer to test time and temperature.

I do buy damaged free range chickens from a local processor.

The free range bit is important,.

I butcher them myself, package and freeze the meat into a meal for one and then cook them as and when.

The rest of the carcase I use to make stock, but I will not freeze it.

Times are changing, the old rules do not apply.

Can you explain what you mean by ‘you butcher them’ yourself? Are you talking about buying live birds and you kill and butcher them ?: Or do you mean they are already dead and you just joint them up?

I(f you won’t freeze the stock, how long do you keep it for?

1 Like

I’m trying to understand what a damaged carcass means?

1 Like

Perhaps in the processing a leg has been pulled off or back broken etc?.

Swimmy also said about the amount of disease in such places that process millions of birds, so how is it safter to bring this raw poultry back home to ‘butcher’, and spread Campylobacter, Salmonella and such around one’s own kitchen? :thinking:

1 Like

Hi

First the easy one, a damaged carcass.

One which is bruised in part or has a broken leg or wing.

They are rejected by the system and are worth pence, not £s.

I get the whole carcass and then cut it up, salvaging what Is good, discarding the rest.

I then freeze each piece and cook it individually.

What did you do Arty ??
Are you still with us??

Did you eat it?

Hi

Very simple Mups, it is fresher and less chance of contamination.

Didn’t you say the bird itself was already contaminated before it even got to the slaughter house though? Usually from being reared in overcrowded and unhygienic conditions, as most mass produced creatures are.

If it works for you, that’s great, but personally I wouldn’t want to handle and gut raw poultry in my kitchen.
Why do you even do that? Is it just to save a few bob?

Hi

I buy the carcass, I do not gut them.

Oh, when you said you butchered them, I didn’t know you just meant jointed them, I assumed you meant the whole job.