Why are all those People Better Off Than Me?

We all have differing amounts of money and possessions. Some pretend to have more, some less.

We are what we are. No two people in this world are the same: different circumstances, on life’s journey, making a million decisions, lost in space till the end.

I know people with a million times more - assets-wise - than me, I know people who own nothing but debt, but none of them are better off than me.

1 Like

I don’t make assumptions about folk who are financially better off than me.
My work in the Banking Wealth Sector gave me a portfolio of clients with a range of backgrounds - from inherited wealth of the aristocracy, middle class professionals taking their business to the next level, creative folk and sports personalities, who had talents that other people were prepared to pay for, folk who happened to have a good idea and set up in business at the right time and struck gold, to kids like me who grew up in poverty but had grafted hard and pulled themselves up by their bootstraps.

After I retired from banking, I worked for 10 years for a charity giving advice on homelessness, welfare benefits and debt advice.
My work there brought me into contact with clients who had a range of backgrounds - from those who never really tried to help themselves, those who spent their lives struggling when the dice were stacked against them, those who once had well paid jobs but physical health or mental health problems had caused them to lose their jobs, those who had formerly been one of the “financially successful” but had become casualties of recessions, bankruptcies or partnership / relationship breakdowns.

The list is endless - every person has their own unique story of how and why they end up in the position they are in.

That’s why I don’t like to see comments which paint all “rich folk” with the same brush - nor do I like to see comments which paint all “benefit claimants” with the same brush.

Even within my own family, there’s major differences in financial assets - my siblings and I were were all born in poverty but have ended up in a range of different financial circumstances. We all worked our way out of poverty but we did not all feel the need to pursue money above happiness. Sadly, the sibling who is a multi-millionaire is the least emotionally secure and least happy of all of us, which tells me that money is not the “be all and end all”

6 Likes

None of it matters, being socially pleasing trumps the lot of it. :smiley:

2 Likes

Actually being happy with your lot trumps everything lol

2 Likes

Just “Trumping” can have it’s merits :icon_wink:

1 Like

A risk of not collecting $200 though.

I’m with d00d on this.
Being ‘better off’ is relative to your status in life…

2 Likes

I think it is possible to have extreme material wealth yet still have poverty of spirit.

I don’t mean that in a religious sense … just that if you cannot appreciate the things in life that are free or cost little or cannot be bought then you really don’t klnow the value of anything.

Some of the poorest people I have known were happier than a lot of better off people I’ve known.

3 Likes

One cannot speak for anyone else’s happiness or lack of, one only sees the shell.

1 Like

Might be your perception but this is not generally the case
The idea that poor people are happier is outdated and not supported by research. Research shows that certain things are universally essential. People who live in poor countries are generally not happier .
That’s why we see the huge movement of people in the world at this time .
They are generally from low income continents such as Africa and South America they are not happy so are moving to where they hope to have a happier life . Addressing global poverty requires that people consider basic necessities food water and shelter as human rights and not privileges. By respecting more human rights and providing solutions to global poverty, the world is essentially happier.

Totally agree, Sofia.

When my mother had nowt, she worked, many days, until 10PM, was ever friendly & caring, but, in spite of the bombers, overhead, our father away, in the RN, she always sorted things out for us.

When the other kids got Bikes, and expensive Christmas toys, we didn’t feel so down, as we understood why.

But what it did teach us a real lesson of life & we always had a job, ever since. (however lowly).

Not all learn those lessons!

Partly because their parents put it all in front of them, so they don’t learn to earn it!

3 Likes

With the recent price hikes in fuel, energy and food .
I very much doubt that will still the be true

2 Likes

Absolutely @sofea my love of nature and the great outdoors has usually been all the drugs I need to put things into perspective and make me realise how well off I am. A bit of solitude from the madding crowd works wonders.
Obviously extreme poverty would be hard to keep smiling through, however, what is extreme poverty? Or should it be just low income. We are all products of our own making, and anyone who subscribes to a forum must obviously be able to afford a computer, smartphone and pay for their internet. You have to ask yourself…What are my priorities?

3 Likes

Most people have a computer or at least access to some such device .
In todays word it’s pretty difficult if you don’t have a way of getting online .
Times change
Internet access is a priority for us mostly retired people it may be considered a luxury ( but how are you going to check your bills or bank I don’t know as increasingly everything is done online ) for people in the work force or at school they need to get online .

Ted you are taking about 70 years ago .
Most people didn’t get bikes or expensive stuff for Christmas as many people were poor .
Poor because they couldn’t afford it .
As a child I didn’t know anyone whose parents ‘ put stuff in front of them ‘ as a matter of course .

We hadf lots of Farmers, in the area, who seemed to have got a betterr sgare of the money than nowadays.,

They & their youngsters, were the strong personalities around & with us.

What do you mean ?
Farmers usually are wealthier , he who owns the land is generally better off

When I was at school, the farmers, generally, owned their farms.

Not any more!

How many farmers did you know? How many farmers do you know now? Actual numbers please.

The farmers around our way own their farms alright .