Why are all those People Better Off Than Me?

What a strange thing to ask someone to explain :man_shrugging:

1 Like

@Muddy , Comfort is a bad habit !! :worried::worried:

They were drug / alcohol abusers didn’t you know ?

@Maree That’s not fair ! You googled it !! :confounded::confounded::confounded:

1 Like

Some people are strange :man_shrugging:

1 Like

@Dextrous63 To whome are you addressing your question my good man ??

1 Like

So?:woman_shrugging:

That’s what we do in the modern world :rofl:

If you’d Googled, you wouldn’t have had to ask me for a definition ! :rofl::rofl: :two_hearts:

1 Like

I never understand why some people seem to take comfort in the idea that rich people can miserable too, kill themselves etc?

As if that makes economic inequality and the widening wealth gap OK?

Is it a form of envy and they’re hiding their jealousy by saying “well, I wouldn’t want to be rich, look how miserable they are”

Or trying to convince themselves they’re better off as they are?

Everybody, rich or poor, can have their problems.

But poverty brings it’s own set of problems on top of the ones everyone has.

And money can alleviate problems the effects of other problems

But I definitely don’t take any pleasure in the thought of anyone, rich or poor, being miserable or suicidal

Or thinks it proves it’s better to be poor

3 Likes

@Donkeyman I was referring to the post directly before my observation, and not you.

@Dextrous63 , l didn’t think you were Dex, l was just asking ??
Thanks for the clarification ! :+1::grin::+1:

1 Like

I don’t envy anybody anything and that is because I feel I’ve had my share of what I consider success by seizing on the opportunities that had opened up and pursuing them with perseverance and, despite the odd failure, working my way up from relative poverty to where I am now. In contrast to others I also accepted compromises and second-best solutions along the way. Luck also came in in the sense that decisions turned out better than expected. It’s all that that makes me happy no matter how successful or well-off other people are, whether they had inherited wealth or were self-made.

3 Likes

Sucess is no longer fearing time :icon_wink: :+1:

Out of my parents 5 kids I’ve succeeded more than the others but they’re no different to me than they ever were .
Doing ok is fine but compassion with it is better

1 Like

Mr Ripple was a self made man he worked hard also played hard :roll_eyes: I was a golf widow.
I’m not sure we were any happier for it.

2 Likes

The way l measure success is by what% l am “better off” than l was when
younger ?
By that criteria my success rating would be 100% higher than a person
born rich but who got no richer during their life time ??None of which encompasses. richness of experiences ? Mmm? Confusing eh ? :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yes I did know and I refer you back to your post. To have to take drugs you’re obviously not in a good place.

If this post is aimed at me. I definitely don’t think it’s better to be poor. I’m just not envious of people who are rich. I’m grateful for the things I do have. It’s far better for my mental health to think like that, than going around with a grudge on my shoulders.

Yes some rich people are selfish, but why bother with them, why not concentrate on the good ones, which there are many.

Some poor people are selfish i.e. think nothing of taking off others who are also poor. But why concentrate on them, concentrate on the good ones which there are many.

1 Like

I think most people concentrate on themselves , only interested in what they have or haven’t got.

2 Likes

So you are not envious ?
That’s very virtuous ,
Lots indeed most people are not envious of rich people, they perhaps would like to be better off , nothing wrong in that but ARE grateful for what they have got and don’t walk around with a grudge on their shoulders .

It doesn’t mean that they should go about fawning on and making excuses for the obscenely rich either .

1 Like

We’ve never had much but we’ve never been jealous of those who have because money doesn’t bring happiness very often. I think you’ll always find some people who are jealous of others be it money or fame etc.

1 Like