Who Should Come First In A Marriage.. Your Wife, Or Your Mother?

More to life than money art

4 Likes

You could tell that to my robbing B of a 1st Son…money is not that important except when one of your own destroys a family.
We put our Cats first a lot…They need more help sometimes than humans do. That does not mean the Love is different though.
Always Spouse over Parents…

1 Like

It’s a funny phrase though, really, “come first”

Come first for what? Making decisions, spending time with, looking after?

I’d have thought it obvious that there should only two people in a marriage and one of them isn’t mother!

So the couple are the unit, making decisions and building their life together.

But that doesn’t mean they can’t think of others needs when they make those decisions and include in their life other people they love?

As long as the couple work as a team and prioritise each other’s needs and wishes, there should be room for other family in their lives

And if they work together it’s much easier to deal with difficult in laws together with a sense of humour rather than falling out

7 Likes

Wife first - every time. (I know which side my bread’s buttered :lol:)

2 Likes

… … AND who spreads it! :+1::wink::grin:

3 Likes

In a forum like this I would be lying if I choose. Reason being it depends on them both needing me at the exact same time. In a case like that I live with my wife(or did) so naturally you would handle the problem at home first. Getting to my Mom would take a couple of days. Quickest I ever made that 500 mile trip, I got there in just over 6 hours. Luckily no ticket. That was when my Mom had had a heart attack.
As to who should come first depends on the issue. I’m not going to side with either if their wrong. My Mom having past now, and me being divorced. I will never have to face that problem thankfully.

2 Likes

A very good post if I may say so, Danny.

2 Likes

My wife and my mother both put me first. :icon_cool:

Yes, that explains it.

2 Likes

My wife first and Mother second. When you marry you and your wife become one.
I believe this still even though my wife and I have our differences.

1 Like

I would never put my kids in a position where they would have to take sides… I would diffuse any situation so it wouldn’t be necessary…but I accept their partners should come first

2 Likes

My wife always she is my life and no one should come between you and your.wife

3 Likes

Let’s see, “forsaking all others,” didn’t necessarily mean only romantic partners.

Then we have the Bible saying in Genesis,
“For this reason shall a man LEAVE his father and mother and cleave unto his wife.”

I was close to my mother. Loved her dearly.

I married my wife and we created a family and she became the only important woman at all try me. This didn’t mean I stopped loving Mom, but that I put my wife above myself in all things as I (and she) should.

Wives and moms aren’t on the same footing to even compare like this and it’s of concern that this question had to be asked, as to me IMO it indicates a lack of maturity on the part of the inquirer. If a man marries a woman, he damn well needs her to be his #1 priority among ALL women. among all humanity even. This is the ONE we love and pledge our all to for Chrissake, until death we do part. If one doesn’t mean those vows then one shouldn’t take those vows.

There are wayyyyy too many fiolks now who will say. “Let’s get married. If it doesn’t work we’ll just get a divorce.”
I’m not sorry to inform, that is textbook counterintuitive. To take a vos forever with a premise of it may not work and we’ll abridge it, is illogical at best, purely evil at worst.

Of course this is my traditional, conservative Christian l, considered out of date opinion.
Yet, I’m with a lady I started dating 37 years ago when we were 17 and 16, and am blissfully happy most of the time. Even when we’re not, we work it out. When she zigs, I zag.
Team work makes this dream work!

I’m lucky that my wife’s Mother-in-Law is the nicest person you could meet.

My wife has always been Lover, Wife, Mother & Baby. In that order.

we’re besotted, she’s my official other half, she cares for me, I care for her.

After 30+ years, I think my Wife is just starting to trust me :grin:

I alwyas put my red setter first she is the most loyal - setter I said not setty!!

I see we’re sharing. I love to share, especially about my marriage !

I’ve had the honor of calling her mine since I was 17 & she was 16, my prom queen. That’s been 37 years ago. 34 years of HER wedded bliss I’ve provided haha.
We’ve grown up together. We served in the Air Force her at my side when I was injured in line of duty, my life and by default her life altered, then the years of pain and stuff that followed.
Now these thirty years later we’ve melded into what could be the tightest knit special team ever. We know when the other person is going to zig so well that the other one just naturally begins to zag.
We tend to put each other above ourselves. It’s not a submissive thing but that we love each other so much we want the other to have the best.

As for me, as a man and husband, the lady is my breath. I do not feel right at all when we’re apart. I don’t sleep well unless she’s next to me. If I need calm, she’s who can calm me. She is my gravity. I don’t think I could draw a breath without her and I know I would not desire to do so.

As for her, she’s not delicate like a flower. She’s delicate like a bomb.

She’s beautiful to behold but one spark and she’ll scorch your earth.
She’s got the kind of class that she can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you’ll look forward to the journey and thank her for the directions.
She’s my counterpoint.
I am her rock, protector, strength. Her man.
We’re a team and we have two common sayings in our house.
Me- “Harden up”
Her- “Teamwork makes the dream work.”

And, we’re both too damn stubborn to give up on each other!

1 Like

I’ve got a favourite cream cake that sounds just like that love it to bits but I just keep getting fatter and fatter!

Let me try this one more again

If you want the marriage to last, make sure she comes first

My wise old dad told me many a moon ago on the day I wed my Lovely Cousin that she is now my priority. Not him. Not my mum. Not my brother. Not friends. Not my boss nor the company I worked for, nor any one or any thing else on the planet.
“Your priority is your wife, and she is your priority for life.”

I have lived by his advice for over forty years without a moment of regret.

1 Like