Who owns the Moon

What you look at when waiting for a tradesman to arrive, can’t give a firm time. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Nobody at present but it’s for sure there will be a few disputes over bits of it that contain anything worth bringing back here.

I do. It shows up overlooking my home regularly almost every single night checking in, unless it’s cloudy.
One of my better ownerships, actually. And so far, no challenges or court cases against me disputing ownership.

There is no upkeep, no lawn mowing, watering, no snakes or varmints to step around, in fact, no need to step around anything. No trash strewn about, no plastic bags, no homeless folk, and most importantly, no electric bills!

No rent, I don’t even charge anyone else on our planet for viewing it at night, or even first thing in the early hours of the morning. I am most happy to share in any delights you might find in the viewing.

One stipulation: Any romantic friskiness while in it’s sight must be kept to yourself. I’ve gotten enough memories all on my own to last me through this lifetime.

5 Likes

Aww this is lovely!

I hope nobody owns the moon…imagine the chitshow that would ensue if we started taking over bits of it and marking out territories :roll_eyes: Luna Sea

2 Likes

Anyone who asserts they do should be shot. It’s bad enough that people already squander large parts of this planet.

We are merely caretakers here as we pass through - and if the planet belongs to anyone it belongs to those who are trying to bring humanity together/trying to save it. Certainly not the greedy who only want to exploit it.

5 Likes

Given the amount of money my wife goes through, I think she must do.

[Quote]
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights — which holds sway in space under Article 3 of the OST — states that individuals have a fundamental right to own property. This means that, hypothetically, any person could build a house on the moon and claim it as their own. But…

However, the OST’s Article 12 includes a provision that could thwart such an attempt. It states that any installation on another celestial body must be usable by all parties. In other words, Hanlon said, it would have to function as a public space. The Moon Treaty of 1979 would have helped reconcile Article 2 with Article 12 by stipulating that any commercial or individual party acting in space be considered part of its nation of origin, rather than an independent entity. But the United States, China and Russia have so far failed to ratify this agreement, and so it is largely considered impotent. As missions like [NASA] [Artemis Program] and China and Russia’s joint moon base project kick into gear, space lawyers like Hanlon will have to do the hard work of reconciling Article 2 with Article 12.
[Unquote]

2 Likes

This is really interesting, I didn’t even think it was under consideration!

I’m going to investigate this further because I am intrigued as to how anyone proposes to make the Moon habitable, and in what manner :thinking:

1 Like

The USA planted a flag there so I suppose they think they do.Just like what the Brits used to do.

1 Like

https://www.forbes5.pitt.edu/article/luna-luna-and-pandoras-box