Who misses the nostalgia of the "Real" Sci Fi Movies of the 50's/60's?

I must admit I tend to agree with you. I watched them at my gran’s as she was the only person I knew with a TV at the time - rented in those days of course.

It was where I watched A for Andromeda which introduced the gorgeous Julie Christie to the world. A series lost to the world, unfortunately only snippets remain.

2 Likes

Not at all. Apart from the comedy aspect. Ok as kids we were fooled easily but looking back at those old movies you realise how technology has changed. Sometimes you can’t even see the join.

1 Like

Beautiful to watch, visually stunning!
th-1381255094

th-2908225094

Gotta be in the right frame of mind to watch it though, mellow and laid back…

2 Likes

Some great ones already posted, i’ll add The Incredible Shrinking Man, 1957 Film, made me aware of going anywhere when it was misty!

1 Like

Do I miss the sci-fi of the 50s and 60s NO

1 Like

John Wyndham wrote some very original sci fi stories. Day of the Triffids is a thought provoking idea which has also been recently adapted to good effect. A film was released in 1963. His other stories are also excellent in my opinion.

2 Likes

I am a great John Wyndam fan but the 1963 film would have to rank as one of the worse versions ever made. There are a couple of TV series which follow the book more faithfully and are quite good but the Howard Keel film? Nah!

Love his other books, The Crysalids, Kraken Awakes, Midwich Cuckoos are favourites - there have been some pretty dire versions of the latter too

2 Likes

Day of the Triffids sorry No

The musical The little shop of horrors yesss

Watched a recent two part interpretation of Day of the Triffids with Dougray Scott and Joely Richardson. I think this is considerably better than the 1963 B movie.

2 Likes

Great movie. However I found it difficult to watch the first and the last thirty minutes of it without fast-forwarding. No patience left these days :innocent:

1 Like

Nooooo!!!
Fast forwarding?.. sacrilege no less! :wink:

The Day The Earth Stood Still - 1951

:point_right: Klaatu barada nikto

1 Like

Classic stuff. They don’t make them like that anymore.

I remember this.Mostly interesting I think because it was Steve (then called Steven)McQueen’s first leading role.

1 Like

2 Likes

1962 and was a big hit.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Towards the end of the 60’s, The Devil Rides out was a good film as it starred Charles Grey as Mocater and he was excellent with evil poses.

1 Like

Nice one,Kate Bush liked it too and used some lines from it in Hounds of Love see Todays Top Tunes.

1 Like