Who knows about the topic Genius Loci?

A local spirit which is thought to influence the nature and appearance of everything in an area.
What might an example of genius loci be?
*The gates at the entrances to a neighbourhood that is traditionally considered “Chinatown.”
*Landscapes such as gardens that match the surroundings. For example - a garden that borrows from the scenery by using background hills, mountains and structures as elements in it’s design.
*Growing crops that match the ecology, landscape and agricultural traditions of a place, allowing farms to produce high quality crops.
I want to touch on Biological Genius loci.
Over the years I have often heard that life long partners tend to resemble one another, and many times I have seen this phenomenon with my own eyes.

Even people who seem to grow to resemble their pet dog.

In my research of this genius loci biology aspect I discovered animals that seem to take on “experiences” in their appearances.
The Samurai crab, native to Japan, has a remarkable resemblance to a bad tempered Samurai.

Local legend has it that these are not just crustaceans, but reincarnations of a warrior family who committed mass suicide, throwing themselves off a cliff into the sea after defeat in battle in AD 1155.

The Apefly Butterfly chrysalid bears a remarkable resemblance to the Military Monkey.

The Harvester Butterfly chrysalid (native to North America) looks extraordinarily like North American Indians.

Nature seems to mimic what it is surrounded by.
Inanimate objects seem to have a “life” of their own.
Who has experienced an “unfriendly” house?
Long lost items seem to “turn up” again.
How to explain De-je-vu.
Wind Blown limestone takes on many forms,

Sure, this post is a little higgledy-piggledy.
I guess what I am trying to say is the the world is an amazingly extraordinary place. So strange we will never know all that is to learn or experience.

deleted!!

Good!! :wink:

1 Like

I haven’t heard of that concept in the way you describe it. I understand it in the more classical sense which says that the given character of a place ought to be preserved by architects, urban planners, and landscape designers whenever something new is going to be erected. This was what communist town planning was totally oblivious or blatantly indifferent to, partly because there weren’t sufficient resources or because it was considered to be bourgeois. They would blast away churches or allow buildings to decay and then replace them with ugly blocks of flats or functional buildings. If something was restored, it was, as a rule, not true to the original. They destroyed without ever providing an alternative concept.

The thoughtful preservation and, if possible, enhancement of a place is central to the idea of genius loci.

1 Like

I used to have these sort of thoughts when I first started smoking weed… :grinning:
just saying.

1 Like