Who is Jeremy Hunt? Well, the PM's new chancellor backed Sunak in the leadership race

Childhood: Grew up in Godalming, Surrey

Education: Oxford University, obtaining a First in philosophy, politics and economics

Family: Married to Lucia Hunt, three children

Parliamentary constituency: South West Surrey

Jeremy Hunt was brought up in the Surrey town of Godalming and attended Charterhouse School, where he became head boy and was known for his love of cross-country running. At Oxford University he put his name out into the political sphere when he served as president of the Conservative Association.

Prior to his career in parliament, Mr Hunt had a career as an English teacher in Japan and as an entrepreneur - co-founding the Hotcourses education publisher. When the business was sold in 2017, Hunt netted a reported £14m, making him one of the UK’s richest politicians.

Mr Hunt was first elected to parliament at the 2005 general election, taking over from Virginia Bottomley as the MP for South West Surrey. From 2005 to 2007 he was the shadow minister for disabled people as a reward for supporting David Cameron - who attended Oxford University at the same time as him - in the Conservative leadership contest.

Then when the Conservative-Liberal Democrat coalition government was formed in 2010, Mr Hunt joined the cabinet as secretary of state for culture, Olympics, media and sport. It was an important role in the run-up to the 2012 London Olympics, during which he worked closely with Mr Johnson, who was Mayor of London at the time.

Earlier in 2012, he faced calls to resign over his role in the BSkyB takeover bid. The then Labour leader Ed Miliband said Mr Hunt should quit over his contacts with Rupert Murdoch’s media empire while he was considering the bid, which was later withdrawn.

In September 2012, was appointed health secretary during a period of low investment in the NHS which created big problems, amid times when demands on the health service were growing. He also faced criticism over his handling of plans to introduce new contracts for junior doctors - a new contract for junior doctors was imposed.

During the 2016 EU referendum, Mr Hunt was a remain campaigner, but afterwards said he would support leave.

He became foreign secretary in July 2018. and tried to free Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe who had been held in Iran on spying charges, which she always denied. After her release, he accused the UK of “diplomatic failure” and said global co-operation was needed to “stamp out” states taking people hostage.

In June this year, he revealed he had had cancer but had now recovered. He said at the time that “every member of his family” has had the disease and that he had “a minor one” himself.

Hunt has had a not entirely unblemished career (BSkyB, NHS) but he does seem to have “moderated” with age. I have no idea why he wishes to associate himself with the “radical” Truss - perhaps, ever ambitious, he sees getting his feet under the Cabinet table as being halfway to becoming PM himself … :man_shrugging:

1 Like

It’ll only be a short term appointment.

1 Like

I was hoping he would be more successful as PM. He seems to be the only grown up around.

1 Like

Lets hope that he has the wherewithal and sense to tell his crazed and imbecilic boss to shut up and keep her insane ideas to herself.

3 Likes

With the name of Hunt surely he can find a solution to the tory problems

1 Like

I bet he could stare me out.

yikes !!!

I would say he can’t be any worse however they do seem to be getting worse every appointment. We wait with empty purses to see

1 Like

I always thought, he’s got those ‘dotty’ eyes that you can’t trust.

1 Like

Oh Art ,you do make me laugh ,wish I had you for a neighbour! :joy:

1 Like

Zuleika, I wish l was your neighbour as l think you are great!

Look at Jeremy Hunt’s eyes in this pic… deffo dotty!! :laughing:

Oh wow, yes. The sort that stares straight through whoever
they are looking at. Hmmm, perhaps the Truss woman needs
someone who can see right through her and her cockamamy
ideas.

1 Like

I stayed at the Youth Hostel in Godalming before he was born. There’s a coincidence for you!

I think he looks bright eyed and pleasant Art

1 Like

My pet goldfish could do that.

It comes to something when we hope that a third rate ex minister is our saviour!

1 Like

Yup. :rofl:

1 Like

Donating your goldfish to number 11 would raise the collective IQ of both places. What are you waiting for?

That was undoubtedly the look on his face when he was told he would be Treasurer, pure startled surprise, “What! Me?”, a rabbit caught in the headlights.

What he really should have said was - why me? So Liz can
chuck him under a bus too, in her effort to keep that robotic
bottom with her robotic smile in No10?

1 Like

When l think of the name Jeremy Hunt, l just think of how he ruined the NHS.
Heaven knows what he will ruin as the Chancellor… but wait… that’s been wrecked already.

1 Like