Who else has a Gmail email address?

I can understand that. I don’t approve, not because of privacy issues, but because it’s a stupid way to isolate threats. Searching phrases would be more effective. Or don’t bring this word to my attention unless it has this word attached. All because of terrorism. Except Google keeping your search history on record they’ve been doing that since they started. To be honest I hate FB way more than Google.

1 Like

I expect it searches for phrases as well, but what would I know as I’ve been retired for 18+yrs and I’m no longer deep vetted. … well, thinking about it, that might not be true …ya never know with our lot!

1 Like

Remember back in the late 70s early 80s when there was a scare that the government was going to give each individual an RFID tag. So the would know where you are and who you’re with. People were screaming invasion of privacy.
We complained and then did the exact same thing to ourselves through mobile phones and Facebook.
Hell if the government wants to know your associates they just have to look at your friends lists. As far as where you are either FB or your phone will tell them.
We just didn’t want the government doing it to us, it’s OK if we do it ourselves???
Just out of curiosity I wonder how many FB accounts are flagged by the government.

1 Like

FWIW I think that Omah is right & it will be quite while before Google gets around to 2SV … unless of course you have already supplied Google via GMail with your phone number in which case it might arrive fairly soon.
Thunderbird despite years of development is still quite prone to glitches & even without those I’m not sure how well it’s going to work as GMail security tightens and others follow suit.

There have been a few alternatives mentioned but let’s be honest here, they ALL either already gather & share our data OR they and/or the recipients risk leaking it as we’ve seen with a number of big data leaks already.
Would anybody seriously put more trust in Microsoft’s Hotmail than in Google for example?
And ProtonMail good though it is already recommends 2FV which uses among a few other things - you guessed it, the Google Authenticator.
Not only that but when one big player like Google introduces 2FV for email, you can be pretty sure that the others will follow. Not quickly maybe, but they will if only because any company can reasonably claim that 2FV is more secure.

As I see it, options like Proton are undoubtedly good but is it really a necessary expense?
Personally I’m not convinced that it is.

Proton is free though, with the option to pay if you need more space. :smiley:

1 Like

I don’t have a Gmail email account because I neither trust them nor Google with its servers in the USA.

I have three Gmail accounts which I mainly use to sync stuff between various PC’s, Ipads etc. I also use it where I’m required to submit an email address for something, but want to keep the spam away from my ‘actual’ email address, which is with BT internet.

Gmail has it’s uses, but I wouldn’t necessarily trust it for anything I consider sensitive.

I’m not knocking it, but it too isn’t without problems.
And it’s not just space that’s limited on the free version; you can only have 1 address and no “aliases” for example and there’s a limit upon how many messages/day you can send too as well as there being no customer support & a few other things too.
ProtonMail has outages too and other problems so although it might suit some people as I said earlier: I’m not convinced, either that using it is necessary or that it is any better than alternatives.

1 Like

Ahh ok…wasn’t aware of that. I suppose if you want a “proper” email with all you describe, its likely going to cost something then.

I have four email addresses with Gmail and mostly trouble-free. There has recently been the odd time when I couldn’t log on, but half-an-hour later problem resolved. What I don’t like about Gmail is firstly, they seem to make changes to the interface and until you comply you cannot use your email account. That is annoying when it’s an urgent email you wish to send. Secondly, I dislike intensely the way they are always sending security advice and checks. The two-factor security is no more than on bank and other financial websites, it means giving your mobile number from what I recall but then I have had to do that for financial and investment websites too so am used to that.

Their spam filters are very good I have to say, not much gets through that at all. A plus these days when spamming is rife.
:grinning:

My bank and my Amazon account have been using two-step verification for a while now, and it’s no big deal to me. The bank texts me an additional code for me to type in when I’m logging into my account, and Amazon texts me a link to click on to authorise my log-in. All banks will be using the OTP (One-Time Password) system shortly, if not already.

I didn’t request it though. Just happened a few years ago. Not sure whether it was something to do with my Google play account.

It’s V easy to do, so maybe you clicked upon something without realising it. I linked my hotmail to my gmx without realising it and it was quiet a kerfuffle to remove the connection.

It’s amazing how we have been conned into accepting services that assume ownership of hardware and mobile phone account (which we pay for separately). Barclays has a little device that the bank sends a passcode to. You don’t need to pay for a phone contract to use the services. You don’t have to charge it as the batteries last for years. Doubtless they are planning to go down the same route as the others but I think it’s very cheeky particularly if you have savings that the banks use to play the markets & profit.

I have a gmail account which I only use for all my machine embroidery accounts. Everything else is in hotmail or yahoo. Hmm, yes, originally those two accounts were supposed to be for different things, but they got a bit muddled :roll_eyes:

I have a Hotmail (M$), a Gmail and Outlook email accounts all with the same prefix. I only really use the Hotmail account but keep the others for convenience. For example the Gmail acount for my Android phone, YouTube etc.

Actually I have a couple of Gmail accounts and two Youtube accounts - one with 2 subscribers the other 240 subscribers (such fame?)

Ooooh another youtuber :wink: Kept that quiet didn’t you!

You don’t have to do very much to get subscribers.

Yes although I’m sure that the free service by ProtonMail will suit some people.

As I said though, I’m not knocking the service but rather the perceived need for it.
Have people really got so much truly sensitive data which they transmit via email that it’s turning them into some sort of James Bond-esque “beware of the baddie” secretive characters?
Anybody looking at my emails would quickly become very bored, I suspect.

I’m of the opinion that this near-paranoia is more the result of marketing and media fearmongering than it is as a result of any real threat.
Given the reports of huge data leaks I would imagine that our data in any form is far more likely to be obtained from either our own devices or from the organisations holding your data than it is due to a leak from whatever is sent via email.

Hi

Exactly.

They also employ hackers on huge wages.

They are worth it.