Who else has a Gmail email address?

Both V and I have gmail email address and, as I understand it, Google, in its wisdom, will be introducing 2 factor verification log ins for these and access to YouTube. This is the article I read about this. You’ll need a smart phone (of course).

I’m looking into going back to Thunderbird because of this 2FV but would appreciate any comments anyone has as an alternative.

Not me! I do not trust anything to do with Google and even carefully adjust my setting etc for You Tube music.

1 Like

I have just found out that Gmail has been having problems in sending & receiving email. Its thought to be connected to the facebook/Whatsapp failures of recent days. A non gmail address works, but if you rely on Gmail for everything, it might be worth having a back up (non gmail, obviously) just in case.

By the end of this year, some 150 million Google accounts will be auto-enrolled into 2SV with the feature also set to be activated for two million YouTube creators. Google accounts are used to log in to a wide range of services such as Gmail, YouTube and Google Drive.

The number of Google users worldwide is nearly four billion

I’m guessing that it will be some time before Google gets round to me … :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I use Hotmail (Outlook.com) for my general e-mail but for secure stuff to family, I found Proton to be very good and if needed it can be encrypted.

1 Like

The already tried to get my 2SV, but there is no way I am handing over my ID to them. Or my credit card details. Nope. :018:

1 Like

For every day use I use Gmail but,for secure Emails I use Proton Email.

2 Likes

Thanks … I’ll take a look at Proton … :+1:

My hotmail seems to be linked to a separate gmail account which I rarely use. So I assume anyone with a hotmail account also has gmail. I’ve never bothered to look into it but it can be handy if I want a separate email address. Such as the other day ordering carpet/flooring samples limited to 4 per customer.

Hotmail can be linked to any other webmail service, but only webmail.

Gmail account

1 Like

Another fairly good mail service is from GMX.com. I use that for one specific forum and nothing else.

Enhanced security levels is meant to protect you

1 Like

I use Gmail. Never had a problem, except there’s no real customer service if you get in trouble. At, least no customer service unless you pay them for it.

1 Like

I mean it’s not like I am sending Government secrets or anything. Hell as long as I don’t get hacked on my bank account, I could really care less about most of it. If someone wanted to read my emails I really wouldn’t get mad unless they didn’t delete the spam, that would just be rude.
If I am worried about security I use TOR browser instead of chrome.

2 Likes

:044:

1 Like

Our GCHQ has a whole section that auto-searches out certain words and then flags that e-mail.

1 Like

I can understand that. I don’t approve, not because of privacy issues, but because it’s a stupid way to isolate threats. Searching phrases would be more effective. Or don’t bring this word to my attention unless it has this word attached. All because of terrorism. Except Google keeping your search history on record they’ve been doing that since they started. To be honest I hate FB way more than Google.

1 Like

I expect it searches for phrases as well, but what would I know as I’ve been retired for 18+yrs and I’m no longer deep vetted. … well, thinking about it, that might not be true …ya never know with our lot!

1 Like

Remember back in the late 70s early 80s when there was a scare that the government was going to give each individual an RFID tag. So the would know where you are and who you’re with. People were screaming invasion of privacy.
We complained and then did the exact same thing to ourselves through mobile phones and Facebook.
Hell if the government wants to know your associates they just have to look at your friends lists. As far as where you are either FB or your phone will tell them.
We just didn’t want the government doing it to us, it’s OK if we do it ourselves???
Just out of curiosity I wonder how many FB accounts are flagged by the government.

1 Like