White Border around my photos in full screen view

These are all the sizes that I calculated would give me perfect full screen views…And have worked well up until now…

16 to 9 ratio

1 Like

Here is a screenshot of microsoft updates, and I notice that a new microsoft edge was installed, my photos have been displayed on the microsoft photo viewer…Could this be when the white border was added?

1 Like

You look like you’re in great shape OGF :023:

And looking at that photo, it appears Microsoft thinks their UI is more important than your photo - and feels the border is acceptable so they can leave room for that little icon in the bottom right (you might find there is a shortcut to go ‘full fullscreen’ where it hides all UI elements - might be worth a google - just looked and it seems lots of other people have the same issue: microsoft photo app problem - Microsoft Community).

That photo has the same border I can see on a test image.

Don’t forget FastStone Image Viewer. Quick full screen image viewing. This image viewer/processor has been around for years and has a good reputation. It’s on a par with Irfanview, another good image viewer/processor. FastStone is better in my opinion.

1 Like

1920 x 1080 image showing full screen with FastStone Image viewer…

fullscreen

1 Like

@Azz Thanks Azz, that is exactly the trouble I’ve been having, and it seems I’m not the only one…I’m getting so fed up with microsoft tinkering about with stuff that used to work perfectly…Damn those updates!.. :nauseated_face:
Thanks for the compliment also Azz, I’ve been the same shape and weight since I left school…I suppose all the running I’ve done over the years has helped…

1 Like

Thanks @mart going to give FastStone a try, so thanks for the heads up… :023: I’m getting so fed up with microsoft interfering and changing stuff, it’s getting so I have to spend lots of time figuring out how to do simple jobs because things are not how I left them… :anguished:

1 Like

I think MS might be good at supplying the operating system …and even some of the apps are OK. Third party ones are often better though.

If you set FastStone as the default viewer, then double-clicking on an image will open it at the pixel size that it is. If that size is the resolution size of the screen, the image will fill it.

It does quite a bit more than quickly display an image. Once installed and showing an image, try a mouseover or a touch to the sides, top and bottom of the screen. Lots of functions available. To close the viewer, mouseover the top of the screen for the ‘X’ or right-click in the Window and choose ‘Terminate the Application’.

1 Like

Try using buttons ALT and Enter together. Don’t know about with photos but shooting video in 4k and displaying on a 4K monitor does fill the screen without the black sides

1 Like

Thanks @realspeed I gave it a try but with no success, it just brought up the properties of the shot taken. Still useful to know though. The link that Azz posted above explains what the problem is, and there are lots more users suffering the same problem. Apparently it all went wonky after an update from microsoft…

1 Like

To anyone that might be interested, I’ve found a fix for the problem, it’s not perfect, but you can view your photos in full screen mode. Open your image in the microsoft photo viewer, click on the three dots in the top right corner (menu) and select ‘Slideshow’…the photo will show in full screen with no border but will flash by probably faster than you would like. By operating the back and forward arrows on your keyboard you can delay the time that the photo appears.

1 Like

saw this with google

The Windows Photo Viewer is the default program for opening image files on Windows PCs. When the program opens a photo, the image fills the window, and you can use the zoom feature to enlarge it further. The program’s interface will remain, keeping you from viewing the photo in fullscreen. To fill the entire screen, view the photo as part of a slideshow. If the slideshow contains no other photo, it will show a single fullscreen image.

Navigate to the photo’s location on your computer.

Press “Ctrl-Shift-N” to create a new folder.

Click the photo and drag it to the new folder.

Double-click the folder to open it.

Double-click the photo to open it with Windows Photo Viewer.

Press “F11” to view the photo in fullscreen.

Ah yes got you @realspeed but just a couple of points, every so many seconds it blanks out as the slideshow wants to move to the next shot but it can’t, and I wouldn’t be able to see the whole album without making a file for each photo… :017:

Just tried and using the sctoll wheel can make the photo fill the whole screen which you asked for in your original post…

Yes but it doesn’t stop the slideshow going through it’s motions @realspeed , and I would have to create a seperate file for each and every photo…

Good reason to go video then with 4K no problems then :wink:

Too many other hobbies and interests realspeed… :biking_man: :swimming_woman: :running_man: :man_juggling:…Well! I lied about the juggling… :nerd_face:

I tried that on a 1920 x 1080 photo (the native resolution of the monitor) but there was still a border around it.

Put masking tape around the edge monitor screen seems to be the answer then

That’s not helpful realspeed… :021: