Which upgrade/renovation gave you the most pleasure doing in or around your home?

The best thing I ever did to my house was to replace the bath. I installed the bath when the kids were little for obvious reasons but once they were no longer toddlers it was never used as a bath again.

It became an obstacle because to have a shower one had to step over its edge- I am not sure how high a bath is but that is quite a large step.

Having it removed and replaced with a a tiled shower cubicle avoided all that. Because the shower takes up the same area as the bath it means that there is room for a chair for when I become less mobile.

Now my only future access difficulties will be the two steps at the front of the house and the one at the rear but they are both easily replaced by a ramp and with any luck the federal governmentā€™s aim of keeping older people in their own home for as long as possible might mean that they will partly or fully pay for such a ramp(s) to be built. One can only hope (if it ever becomes necessary).

2 Likes

It has to be said that a thread often runs out of steam and a bit of meandering can revive it in quite an interesting fashion.

4 Likes

This has been my passion, my heart is definitely in the garden, making a home for wildlife.i must have water in my garden, so I have two small ponds which are now full of frogsā€¦duckweed Iā€™m having a problem with.:grinning:

I had a blank canvasā€¦I did all of the groundwork and plantingā€¦

![image|690x515](upload://hGqFWkGxM015xzovfbptI0VxQk6.jpeg

1 Like

A few more pictures.

1 Like

Craft room envy strikes again!! Want to get my room sorted for the umpteenth time! :roll_eyes:

I find it hard to stay on ā€˜Topicā€™ and I am like that in real life, a multi tasker, so there is no changing me reallyā€¦
We have a few rules in our abodeā€¦a regular one quoted at me isā€¦
One job at one timeā€¦
andā€¦
DIY can be done away from your homeā€¦just sayingā€¦ :innocent:

@realspeed , whats the steel supporting ?

Fantastic garden @pauline3 Iā€™m well impressedā€¦ :open_mouth:

1 Like

Thank you OGFā€¦gardening has always been my great passion,:heartpulse::heartpulse::heartpulse:

Any pics of your back garden?

1 Like

Good job Besoekerā€¦ :023:
I constructed a project for work in my workshop up in the loft, it took me six months to complete and comprised of four separate control units in one cabinet. Each one timed various applications in the Diamond Abrasive Wheel manufacture. The temperature controls were previously used on their own with no control of time.

A metal body was placed in a mould and the diamond was added. It was heated to around 300*C and while being pressed at 50 tons. The unit would be turned on and the first red light would illuminate as the temperature rose. Once up to temperature an alarm would sound and the second red light would illuminate. You could set the time that the diamond wheel would ā€˜soakā€™ at that temperature for anything up to one hour in five minute steps. Once the time had lapsed, another alarm would sound and all the red lights would flash warning the operator that the process had endedā€¦

3 Likes

Awesome job, Mr Fox!
You are very skilled at this.

2 Likes

Thanks Besoeker, I just love doing itā€¦Gives my mind something to think about instead of all the troubles in the worldā€¦ :023:

Only small Iā€™m afraid pauline. This was the fountain and the conifer hedge I used to cut each yearā€¦

Which was replaced by thisā€¦

3 Likes

Our bungalow needed quite a bit of renovation when we moved in 20 years ago. All the paths, garden and drainage needed re-doing. Not all changes photographed. About 7 years ago, the kitchen was small and the lounge/diner quite big. We decided to change that to a large kitchen/diner and smaller lounge. This was photographed and here are some that were takenā€¦

Building the partition and putting a door frame in once the partition was constructed and plasteredā€¦

The resultsā€¦ The lounge

The kitchen/diner

3 Likes

Mt Bodget the previous owner decied to garage a large camper van in the garage but one side wasnā€™t big enough being a double garage . So instead of having the double garage doors made into one large one he decided to raise the front on one only . Now having two different roof heights inside that steel is supporting the difference.
Now Mr Bodget thought it was a great idea to have two huge wooden doors and widen that side of the garage against the prevoius up and over one. So when I bought the place the wind on the doors made it impossible to keep them open and also put on the cheapest yale type lock as well which broke.

So now I have reduced that entrance height and I have had electic roller shutter doors fitted instead
fully alarmed as well! this goes back to double the depth on this photo

1 Like

You might want to put a step on that side door RS, people going to trip up on that!

:astonished:

When the place was a building siteā€¦

Hi

Some stunning exploits here.

Pauline 3 and her garden, OGF and ST and the fantastic rooms they have created.

Realspeed, I would not have bothered, just routine boring stuff.

1 Like

We hardly ever use it , normally go through the door behind that bush into the workshop area then into the garage.To give some idea the total area is 20 ft x46ft so quite large I guess for a domestic garage

1 Like

@OldGreyFox ,OGFā€¦itā€™s lovelyā€¦as for those legsā€¦:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:ā€¦sorry, I couldnā€™t help myself, been a long time since Iā€™ve seen a pair like thatā€¦:heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

1 Like