Which iPad do you have?

A very old one, time is short for knowing versions.

Goodnight All.

1 Like

Oh is it? Shows how much I know then :joy: Also I wasn’t aware you could switch off the touchscreen function, because occasionally I find myself doing that too! I’ll need to check my settings.

1 Like

I’m trying to find out why you and some others think that they are “the best tablets out there” @Azz ? In what way? I can’t seem to get a reply from anyone… :thinking:

1 Like

In my opinion (for what it’s worth), ipads have a much better operating system than android ones. It’s more secure and user friendly than Samsung pads and given the choice, I would always have an ipad over a Samsung one. They also seem better designed with a better build quality to them.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply Graham, so can you tell me have you had an android Samsung for comparison then, how is the iPad more user friendly, more secure and why is the operating system superior, specifically? :thinking:

1 Like

It is not very intuitive because the setting is in device manager.

That’s for a Lenovo but I think it is similar for most laptops

2 Likes

I have purchased and used Apple Macs almost since they first arrived on the market. However, I have never used an iPad so cannot state anything from my own personal experience. Family do use them though and have done so without problems for years. My own experience of Apple Macs is of using them since around 1982, both for business and pleasure, I find they are intuitive to use and are of good build quality. Their operating systems do not mean the user is a guinea pig, having to suffer many problems at times due to updates. One desktop Mac I had lasted me for 12 years and only ‘died’ when too much was asked of it by way of very large files. I should have upgraded it but being an old computer it was due to be replaced so not worth the expense. It was replaced by a 27" iMac and used for producing magazines and other requirements in advertising and printing.

Getting back to iPads I have just received an e-mail with advertising for the new iPad and iPad mini so thought those on here might be interested to read about this. Incidentally I am not employed by Apple, this is no more than just a thought that some on this thread about iPads might be interested in seeing this new product:

:grinning:

1 Like

Me too Mr Fraggle Galaxy S7 and my Samsung mobile

2 Likes

There are lots of reasons - and there will be different reasons for different people, but for me it’s a lot about the user experience, security and ecosystem. For instance, if I am sent a text message or an iMessage it automatically shows on my computer and my phone (and now iPad), if I have tabs open in Safari on my Mac I can also access them via my phone/iPad. When I log in to my bank and it sends me a text message with a code, my Mac automatically fills in the code. I can use my iPad as a second monitor for my Mac (SideCar), my Mac/iPhone almost never crashes, is far more intuitive that competitors products, etc. In terms of security, most of Apple devices have machine learning chips on your actual device - and don’t send your private data off to the cloud like what happens with most other operating systems like Android. You can read more about Apple’s privacy features here: Privacy - Features - Apple (UK)

Individually each apple product has strengths too - the operating system is usually considered to be superior/more secure/a better experience and the hardware is usually unmatched in terms of power. The new iPad pros are more powerful than most ‘computers’.

But Apple are not perfect and they could definitely do things better (such as be less focused on profit!)

I think the general consensus with a lot people who I know/who are programmers or design professionals, is that Apple products are still the best BUT if a really good alternative came about many of us what ditch Apple just to teach them a lesson - that they should never forget about their core users and they really need to stop screwing every last penny out of them.

Having said all that - the best thing to do is to maybe try one for yourself to see what the fuss is all about. As you’ve seen from his thread most people love their Apple products, but if you try one and don’t that’s fine! The world would be boring if we all thought that same and you’re very welcome to Windows or Android :lol:

3 Likes

Everyone builds in obsolescence. I hope they make it totally illegal. It’s ruining the planet.

1 Like

As an aside:

My first Samsung Tab A had a 4:3 screen it’s replacement has a 16:9 screen both are the same size screen (ie measured diagonally).

On the whole I think I actually prefer the 4:3 screen. For example - while Youtube videos have to have black bars at top and bottom when not in full screen mode the 4:3 screen fits more information in.

I was quite surprised by this as I expected to much prefer the 16:9 format but on an astonishing number of occasions the 4;3 screen is actually preferable.

This has never been the case on the 16:9 screens on my laptop or desktop computers

1 Like

I have 55 inch OLED TV to watch videos and films, have never understood trying watch on a small screen. Loaded a couple of films on my tablet to watch during the lengthy chemo infusion but found I could not enjoy on such a small screen.

1 Like

Me too but sometimes it is convenient to watch the video away from your TV for example tutorial videos when working in the garage, it is not really practical to move my 55" TV to the garage just to repair a portable generator.

It is also true that a 55" TV 4 metres away looks the same as a 7" screen 30cm away. it is all to do with perspective

1 Like

In full agreement with you there Bruce a tablet is very useful in that situation, used it very recently to install a wooden loo seat which was playing the hard game and the written nstructions were worse than useful.

1 Like

Many thanks that’s quite comprehensive @Azz , although I didn’t understand all of it…Haha…

Like most people I guess, I only use a fraction of the abilities that a tablet or computer has, so I’ll just stick to what I know I think, and my Samsungs do all that I need for that. :grinning:

1 Like

I don’t use Apple products. At all.

2 Likes

And am I right in saying that apps obtained via the Apple store are more rigorously tested, or considered safer than those on an android.
@Azz, any thoughts on this?

1 Like

If we’re talking purely about the level of threat that exists on the two platforms, it would seem iPhone and iPad users have the better side of the deal. Studies have found that a far higher percentage of mobile malware targets Android than iOS, the software than runs Apple’s devices. That’s down both to Android’s huge global popularity and its open approach. Plus, Apple tightly controls which apps are available on its App Store, vetting all apps to avoid allowing malware through.

But the figures alone don’t tell the story. After all, it only takes one piece of perfectly formed iOS malware to do as much damage as thousands of copycat Android threats. And both platforms are equally at risk from social engineering, where hackers use more personal methods to target your logins and data.

1 Like

I would say so as Apple care more about their reputation, but I still don’t think they go far enough - but I’d definitely trust them more than Android apps myself :023:

Yes, and this guy says that Apple has less ways to secure the device.