Which exotic or uncommon fruits have you tried?

I remember speaking to my neighbour once while eating a Lychee, and she said she’d never tried one - so wondered, what exotic or uncommon fruits have you tried? And which ones would you like to?

For anyone interested in Lychees here’s what they look like:

They’re sweet, with the flesh almost like a jelly …and very fragrant - quite unlike most fruit! Very nice and well worth a try :smiley:

2 Likes

Lychee are yum! :yum: We used to pick them off the trees.

Not sure what you mean by exotic fruits, so I looked up a list. On this list, I’ve eaten starfruit, pomelos, and papayas. They don’t seem exotic to me, but I guess that depends on what’s available in your area. I also love guava and crab apples picked from the tree.

1 Like

Mangosteen
Without doubt the food of the Gods .

3 Likes

My children used to love Rambutans

2 Likes

Nespera

You could buy them cheap in Portugal, or just pick them off the trees …

the skin comes off in your fingers and the flesh falls off the stone/s

Really nice

1 Like

I tried dragon fruit because it looks so pretty. Very disappointed, it didn’t taste of anything at all!
I’ve been told since that it should taste sort of like pear and kiwi but mine was probably bland because it wasn’t ripe

1 Like

don’t know that one @Maree

2 Likes

Persimmon

Lots of these in Portugal and in the London Arab shops

They’re OK, be care not to swallow without first chewing well.

1 Like

nice! always quite expensive.

1 Like

It looks as if it’s going to be delicious, doesn’t it? But mine wasn’t!

You can get them in some supermarkets, Waitrose do them and in Thai food shops but they are pricey, about £4 each.

I only bought it because we had friends coming over and I thought it would be nice in my fruit salad

I don’t think I’d gamble another four quid

2 Likes

EDIT persimmon

The ones in the pic look firm. It’s the soft, jelly-like ones that are easily swallowed.

1 Like

I’ve never heard of most of those things, I think a banana is exotic

3 Likes

I tried a Starfruit once…it was sour and I didn’t like it. I only got it because it looked pretty when sliced up!

You can’t eat it if you have kidney problems, and there is a thing called “starfruit intoxication” which can make you really ill with vomiting, numbness and muscle twitching. :scream: If I’d known that I wouldn’t have touched it at all! One to avoid - pretty doesn’t mean palatable!

1 Like

I haven’t tried them yet but I keep meaning to try prickly pear. I’ve never eaten cacti before, it’s got to be done.
I’m fortunate enough to have a large shop close by that sells a very extensive range of world food, spices etc.

1 Like

I have Níspero trees in my (English) garden that I have grown from the stones of the fruit from Spain.
They are very hardy and survived British winters.
I believe the correct name is Loquat.

2 Likes

I’ve had fresh papaya, and pomelo - this is very like grapefruit, but the skin is very, very thick, with a large fruit producing much less fruit than expected!

We grew cucamelons a few years ago. We weren’t keen on them, so gave most away. They were very easy to grow and produced an abundance of fruits.

And although fresh figs are readily available nowadays, and didn’t make it to the exotic fruits list posted by Butterscotch, you really haven’t tasted a fresh fig until you eat one in its country of origin. A bowl of fresh figs, Greek yoghurt and local honey in Crete was nothing short of heavenly!

1 Like

Oh well done.

Yes I guess they must be pretty hardy; the grow on the side of the road, in the streets of Lisbon.

2 Likes

True story.
Back in the 80’s when I was a student in Glasgow I decided (who knows why) that I wanted lychees. Tinned would be fine. I went to my local store - no sign of the fruit or the tins. So I asked the woman at the counter “have you got lychees?”. The brilliant reply:
“No love, we’ve only got cheddar.” Perfect and put me in my place.

3 Likes

How about Feijoa? Sometimes known as Pineapple Guava, (don’t know why- it doesn’t taste like pineapple) origins in South America brought to Polynesia about a thousand years ago.

1 Like

Passion fruit…too many pips in that for my liking, it’s nice in cakes though.as well as passion fruit filling for cakes.

Lychees I love, unfortunately the pip/ stone, is nearly as much as the fruit in size.

My fav is Mango! :heartpulse:

1 Like