Which do you prefer..micro or conventional oven

I use a conventional oven for baking and for roast turkey and the top oven for roast beef and lamb. I use the microwave for heating up foods and for scrambled eggs. I use a pressure cooker for veg.

That’s what I have, if anything happens to it I would buy another. Haven’t used my conventional oven for at least a decade. I use it for storing cook books or pots and pans.

I use the oven less and less these days, as I have a combi microwave, a Ninja Foodi and an Instant Pot, all of which cook quickly and cheaper than an oven. Oh, and I use an electric steamer for veg.

Ha, I’ve just realised this is an old thread, and I’d already replied in September :roll_eyes: :blush:

I very much doubt if a microwave is cheaper to run than a gas hob. but cooking nice tasting good food should not be about saving money or the planet, it should be about producing delicious, healthy, and tasty food whatever you cook it on/in…
:yum:
Personally, I wouldn’t touch a microwave with a bargepole.

1 Like

Why not? Why are some people actually afraid of microwave ovens?

I have one of these as well Bruce and I bought one large enough to do most things, although not the Christmas turkey.

Are they? I hadn’t heard that.

Because they’ve been reading the articles put out by conspiracy theorists that they cause cancer, etc.

We use our microwave every day. Our conventional oven is only used to roast meat on a Sunday.

Well right now a kitchen would be nice :slight_smile:

I use both ovens but I have to admit I use the microwave for mainly warming things … I tend to use a conventional oven for what I would call proper cooking… when I have one :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some people, though, have no choice but to cut down on their fuel bills or they wouldn’t be able to afford food anyway.

Times are hard and if you’ve only got a £1 left on your fuel card to last the week-end cost is more important to you than gourmet

It depends what you are cooking and for how long and if you have a gas hob or not. A lot of homes, especially rentals, are all electric

Gas is cheaper than electricity, so if you are heating soup, for example, a gas hob is cheaper than the microwave but a microwave is cheaper than an electric hob

But because microwave cooking is faster, things that would take longer in the hob, like boiling potatoes are cheaper in the microwave than the hob

And things that need the oven on for a long time are much cheaper in the microwave

The estimate I read is that a jacket potato costs 27p to bake in the oven and 3p in the microwave

1 Like

I don’t have a microwave, not because I’m afraid of them, or because they may or may not give you cancer. I don’t have one because I’m quite happy with the cooking methods that I have always used, and I have all the time in the world to stand and stir the gravy or my soup. I used to do ‘fast’ when I was working. Now it’s nice to take my time.

I wasn’t speaking for them Maree, I was speaking from my perspective. I happen to use an induction hob, and a gas oven. I also have enough money to pay the bills or splash out on some expensive nosh, so economy is not an issue…Don’t get the wrong impression though, I’m careful with my money, but I never compromise on food. If I fancy it, I buy it, irrespective of the cost.

1 Like

My microwave is used for heating food only.

1 Like

They’re very good for killing candida (thrush) spores in knickers. Prolly best not while things are being reheated though.

1 Like

The mind boggles!

Both Ding nowadays so, not much to choose from.

No comparidon here at ruthio towers: one cooks food, the other reheats food.

I’ve got a better solution Arty…
:sunglasses:

Or indeed not while you’re still wearing them….:rofl:

That’s optional Maree…
:astonished:

1 Like

We use our Ninja Foodi most of the time, its excellent.

We have one of those Rangemaster cookers with the 6 burners etc that we inherited when we bought the house. It’s crap at cooking stuff but the big burner on the stove is unbeatable for doing steaks.