When was the last time you visited a zoo?

Many Zoos are now a place to breed endangered Native Animals.
Perth Zoo has bred and released into the wild over 4,000 endangered Native Animals.
Including
Numbats,

Also known as the banded anteater, is a marsupial native to Western Australia.
Its diet consists almost exclusively of termites.
The Numbat is an emblem of Western Australia
Unlike most other marsupials, the Numbat is diurnal. (Only active during the day).
With less than 1000 left in the wild an intensive breeding program started in the 80s has brought them back from near extinction.
Dibblers
One of the Worlds rarest Mammals

This attractive little Western Australian marsupial is one of the world’s rarest mammals, thought extinct until a chance rediscovery.
The Dibbler was once found in near-coastal areas across the south-west corner of Australia, from Shark Bay south-east to Esperance.
Much of the Dibbler’s original range was cleared for farming early in the European settlement of Western Australia and the remaining areas (too rugged or nutrient-poor farming) are susceptible to wildfires which wipe out the resident population/s of small animals.
Foxes, cats, rats and other introduced predators and competitors also threaten the Dibbler’s survival.
Perth Zoo has released over 900 Dibblers
Western Ground Parrot

There is approximately only 150 of these beauties left in the wild.
Perth Zoo has a breeding program to boost the numbers of these birds.
They are released onto introduced predator free Islands off the coast of Western Australia.
Chuditch (Western Quoll)

Litter of Quoll Pups

Quolls are indigenous to mainland Australia, New Guinea, and Tasmania.
The six species were once widely distributed across the three land masses, but are now restricted to only a few areas.
Although primarily ground-dwelling, the genus has developed secondary arboreal characteristics. (they climb trees)
Quolls are carnivorous marsupials.
They are primarily nocturnal, sleeping in hollowed-out logs or rocky dens and coming out to hunt during the night, though on rare occasions they can be seen looking for prey during the day.
Koalas

Koalas are becoming threatened Australia wide.
Although Western Australia does not have Koalas, Only the Eastern States have endemic Koalas.
Perth Zoo breeds Koalas and one of the latest Bred Koalas has made his Debut.
Boondi, the male joey was born to mum Mia and dad, Slater around nine months.
Peek a Boo, I see you.

5 Likes

Don’t have to go to a zoo, the zoo comes here when the grandchildren turn up

2 Likes

We took the Grandchildren, brothers and Sisters last fall Halloween time frame.

1 Like

Amazing, wow!!

1 Like

https://la-vallee-des-singes.fr/en/
Many within our reach but just been to the above one…

1 Like

Longleat with the grand kids.

1 Like

Quite recently for my photography, as there are several within driving distance.

Occasionally “Mrs G” will pay for me to have a photography day, when you can have special access to the animals.

1 Like

@Bretrick I’ve not visited a zoo in my living memory and nothing would make me go to one. Leave all of the animals in their natural habitat where they belong.
Modern circuses have the right idea with only humans on display :+1::clap:

what about Crufts then when dogs perform “tricks” to the sound of music with their owners. That really bugs me

1 Like

I have no time for any of those elitist animal gatherings … poncey dogs with their pretentious poncey owners would just make me angry!

So what about beauty contests then with all these beautiful young ladies parading before you. I bet you would be :heart_eyes: :flushed: and not :sleeping:

I see far fitter and better turned-out young ladies perform in the Cique du Soleil when they tour abroad :+1::clap: Earlier this year they appeared in The Royal Albert Hall.

1 Like

Ive never visited a zoo
As my parent couldnt bare to see the animals caged for humans delight
And i feel the same !!

2 Likes

I agree and as a kid always hated the zoo because the animals seemed to have a fairly small space in which to live and sleep.
Today, most zoos are more like animal parks, where they can roam within huge areas that have been made to mimic their natural habitat, and if they feel like hiding away from visitors, there’s plenty of camouflage around for them.

A great place for kids to go and learn about all kinds of animals - Chester Zoo is great, the animals well looked after, and i saw no stressed animals while i was there. The staff treat them with so much love and respect.

2 Likes