When Rabbit Howls. The multiple personalities of Truddi Chase

I find matters of the mind an interesting subject so when this title was recommended to me, I just had to find a copy. This IMO is a good and informative read.
It covers child abuse, so be warned, it could be harrowing for the sensitive reader.

Overview:-
A woman diagnosed with dissociative identity disorder reveals her harrowing journey from abuse to recovery in this #1 New York Times bestselling autobiography written by her own multiple personalities. Successful, happily married Truddi Chase began therapy hoping to find the reasons behind her extreme anxiety, mood swings, and periodic blackouts. What emerged from her sessions was terrifying: Truddi’s mind and body were inhabited by the Troops? ninety-two individual voices that emerged to shield her from her traumatizing childhood. For years the Troops created a world where she could hide from the pain of the ritualized sexual abuse she suffered at the hands of her own stepfather, abuse that began when she was only two years old. It was a past that Truddi didn’t even know existed, until she and her therapist took a journey to where the nightmare began… Written by the Troops themselves, When Rabbit Howls is told by the very alter-egos who stayed with Truddi Chase, watched over her, and protected her. What they reveal is a spellbinding descent into a personal hell and an ultimate, triumphant deliverance for the woman they became.

I’ve always been interested even though harrowing at times . I’ve not read this one and for years I had a book of similar ilk written by the lady with the disorder and her daughter who lived with these multiple personalities and I cant remember it at the moment but when I do I’ll let you know .

The lady i read of had about 19 , some were Male some small children , some gentle and loving and others kind but a bit moody . One personality actually held down a part time job yet the main personality and others didnt know this until she found help and it all came out .

I’m so frustrated I cant remember it so bear with me till the memory box opens .

1 Like

Thanks to Google and not my memory

All of Me: How I Learned to Live with the Many Personalities Sharing My Body

Book by Kim Noble

1 Like

This kind of topic fascinates me. To have all these different lives and experiences…yet be unaware.

I have watched a few Youtube videos on the subject and to see the person’s demeanour and expressions change according to whoever is at the forefront, is quite…erm…compelling.

1 Like

The original public consumption book about Dissociative Personality Disorder was written by psychiatrists Corbet Thigpen & Hervey Cleckley about Chris Costner Sizemore & was turned into the late 50’s film The Three Faces of Eve. Later Chris Costner Sizemore would write at least two books about herself.

One prevalent theory is that Dissociative Personality Disorder (DID) is a result of the therapist, not the mental condition of the patient. Part of this theory is based upon the fact that no one just has DID, but a multitude of Dissociative Disorders. In fact, where DID is diagnosed, more other Dissociative Disorders are diagnosed, than with any other patent group. Some therapists find many cases of DID, while many others find none. The terms Conformation Bias & Availability Error seem to fit for some therapists.

1 Like

Hi gee , so if I’m reading your reply correctly DID is in each of us to a lower degree or is not a diagnosis , im a bit unsure of how to understand you. Kim noble had no idea of her other identities she had one dominant one who was the controller. Her daughter lived with them all and talks about them in the book .

After therapy Kim is now aware of some of them but before therapy had no idea . It is quite fascinating

I suppose to an extent we all have different personalities for instance we go out dressed up for a night out as a happy interesting person and the next day lie around in pyjamas with a sad face as it’s all over or bored . Going to work we are different than at home .

Kim was terribly abused and said as a child she would leave her body to escape the abuse and perhaps the brain fractured

1 Like

Ever hear similar stories from people who claim alien abduction? Certainly, both have so called therapists who find it in many who are prepared to pay them. Others, find it in no one during a lifetime in frontline mental health services.

The reality with DID is. It is currently little more than a pseudoscience. The evidence of it’s existence is not widely supported within the professional mental health field. Long term the evidence may or may not become stronger, but at the moment the evidence is not supportive.

2 Likes