When is the last time you used a regular lead pencil to write with?

I was looking for colored pencils online. In my search, I came across some mechanical pencils. They looked fun, but I asked myself when was the last time I wrote with a :pencil2: pencil, mechanical or wood.

I can’t remember the last time I wrote with a pencil. Since there are erasable pens which are darker, I couldn’t justify buying a new pencil. But I’m sure I have one around somewhere, and now I’m curious.

When is the last time you wrote with a pencil?

:memo:

I use a pencil every day when I tackle the crossword in my newspaper. I also use a pencil for writing lists, jotting down notes etc. In fact, come to think of it, I rarely use a pen except for addressing envelopes and writing in birthday cards. I always used a pencil to mark essays when I was teaching too.

1 Like

Just before I retired. I had to have a notebook with me all the time and a pencil was the best thing to use, so I had a pack of mechanical pencils to write stuff down.

1 Like

Perhaps like many children, my kids had a fascination with stationery for a while, (I remember that I did) and bought & collected all sorts
When they left home they left a shoe box full of assorted pens & pencils, enough to keep me going for the forseeable future

I use pencils for marking out on wood & leather for my hobbies
Next to this computer I have a cheap notepad for jotting down shopping lists, dates of events and other ideas & information I see on t’Net

Though I use email I still do write letters to a couple of friends

They also left a few pencil sharpeners, but they were the usual cheap plastic and a bit worn & battered, so I treated myself to a decent one. Yes I have sharp knives but I prefer an actual pencil sharpener

I was like one of those kids. I still do love stationery and have boxes of pens and pencils. I even have a few graphite pencils for drawing that I never use. Despite all of that, I still haven’t used a pencil in years, if not decades.

Nice pencil sharpener! I just looked at one tonight when I was looking at colored pencils.

The M&R pencil sharpener is good, and I also bought a rubber/eraser, and several brushes for painting my model planes, to get the best value from their P&P charge

1 Like

Ive got a box of Pencils both coloured and plain , The Coloured ones I bought recently with a colouring book for my mum .
The box of plain ones Ive had ages , and like Zulu they got used for marking wood .

1 Like

I used one last week,the old fashioned school pencil.
I found a note book in my bedside table and the indentation of the last letter i wrote was on the piece of paper,so out of curiosity i rubbed the pencil over the paper.
It was a letter i wrote to a solicitor 15 years ago.

I remember doing that as child , 15 years later is a long while for a letter to be read…It must have been interesting

1 Like

I much prefer using a pencil for doing little electronic drawings while working at the bench.
I also have one in the car for those unexpected times when you need to write something down.
And like Zuludog, I use a pencil for marking out on wood and other materials when cutting.
I’ve got a drawer full of pencils in all different grades…HB B1 - 6 and rubbers (erasers for our American cousins) and a selection of sharpeners. Although being an engineer, I’ve always prefered to use a grinding wheel for the perfect point.

1 Like

I regularly use a HB 0.5 mm lead pencil. A Pentel it is.

1 Like

Just now, scoring the pop quiz on radio 2. I was not very good, in fact I am never very good. :grinning:

1 Like

I use a pencil all the time for things like shopping lists and notes and lists I don’t need to keep forever

They last ages, even when well sharpened. I bought a box of 10 recycled newspaper ones about 4years ago and I’m only on my fourth one! Got to be better than constantly throwing plastic biros away

I use coloured pencils a lot for crafts, designing and mood boards

1 Like

rubbers (condoms in the US). :upside_down_face:

Not to you specifically, OGF. I wrote the title in that convoluted way because I can imagine people drawing or tracing with pencils but writing with them seemed a bit less common as it used to be.

Fountain pens ftw (for the win)! :wink::grin:

1 Like

I used my 0.5mm mechanical pencil 15mins ago …which reminds me … I must obtain some more leads.
Although it can cost less to buy a new pack Paper Mate pencils and have them delivered. 10 = £3.49 :+1:

1 Like

I regularly use an ordinary pencil (graphite) and always have a few lying around in most rooms in the house for jotting down notes and reminders.

I use retractable mechanical pencils too - what we used to call “propelling pencils” I have a lovely decorated silver one which matches my best fountain pen, which I leave in my study desk drawer and I keep another small, slim one in my handbag.

I hate using ball point pens, so I usually write with a fountain pen for cards and letters and a pencil for nearly everything else.

2 Likes

It was Eliza,the letter was posted but i must have pressed very hard for the imprint to be on the piece of paper underneath.

1 Like

You have just described my method of handwriting. I adore my fountain pens and my sepia inks.

1 Like

I have four sitting beside me as I type, I use them all the time and sharpen them with my pen knife. They are getting a bit long in the tooth now as I bought them in a pack of 36 when my kids were at school however they never used them.

There are also a couple attached to the sun shade in my car

2 Likes