When did you start feeling “old”?

I can honestly say that until today I never felt old. I am 68. I have had a rotten last few years with all the covid rules affecting visiting my Mum and then losing her at Xmas 2020. On top of that there has been massive stress with legal stuff to do with her Will which is still ongoing.

I had a bad knee which stopped me exercising much so I gained some weight. Lockdown caused more weightgain and I felt very, very low. probably depression but I didn’t see the GP. I lost 3 very close people all similar age to me in a couple of months. A few weeks ago my back went into spasm and I was laid up for over a week unable to walk or sit without pain. I was on strong painkillers and muscle relaxant from GP.

I try and have a walk every day but after walking for just 10 mins my back aches and feels so tight. I went for a massage last week but that didn’t help.

I felt my HRT could be insufficient as they kept lowering the dose. They took me off pills and onto patches which kept falling off however clean and dry my skin was. The GP returned my call today and started telling me about types of patches and pills and what oestrogen does and then she said “but of course we do have to consider your weight and you are nearly 70”. I felt SO old suddenly and it really upset me and I couldn’t believe she was talking about ME.

5 Likes

Happily hasn’t happened yet, most of me bits still work quite well.

2 Likes

Yesterday when I got discount for being 65, hit home then.

1 Like

Old? Age? I just ignore them and they go away!! :laughing:

1 Like

Have you forgotten the question yet?

That’s honestly how I always felt. I used to do a brisk walk every day, walked several miles with a group every week, cycled miles every week, admittedly more in the summer.

I always like nice clothes, boots etc and people I knew from years ago always said I didn’t seem to age so I felt I was doing OK.

Tonight I feel about 90 sitting here propped up on a V cushion trying to sit comfortably. I have been out today and did a lot of walking so I do try and keep mobile.

4 Likes

Oh @Flowerpower sounds like you need some

3 Likes

I started feeling old when I forgot how old I was on my birthday! :grin:

4 Likes

Could have been worse. Ruthio forgot what day her birthday was on and we all held a party on the wrong date. lol

3 Likes

Oh dear, what a pair! :rofl:

1 Like

Deleted; sorry if that was TMI.
I can learn to share less.

I can really relate to your story.
Gaining weight comes with a lot of physical problems.

2 Likes

I am not sure I have ever felt old BUT I did notice a decrease in mobility when I turned 70 some years back.

Previously there had been a slow almost imperceptible decline in strength and agility since I retired but 70 was a watershed when what had been variable back pain notched up a touch and I went on the strongest OxNorm tablets.

Having said all that it is a good excuse not to do housework and I still get out and about but old? Pah! no such thing.

1 Like

I guess in my late 20’s to early 30’s. I was racing motorbikes & found myself becoming less competitive. Mishaps hurt more & my own mortality started to make me less than what I had been.

For me it was when I was admitted to hospital two years ago. I didn’t remember much about it but I was told later that my chances of survival were debatable. I made it but not without the scars. Aphasia remains immensely frustrating.

4 Likes

I had two birthdays, I’m not complaining! :innocent::star_struck:

1 Like

No offence, but I suspect you’ve had substantially more than two birthdays hun. lol

When my husband started talking photos of this strange woman with greying hair :frowning:

2 Likes

You are making an amazing recovery Besoeker, well done :clap:

1 Like

I think a combination of lockdown, and having the Covid jab changed my life quite a lot, and not for the better either.

2 Likes