What's your secret to longevity? Diet, relationships, weather, purpose or?

This is a few of my family and of their life expectancy. My mother lived to be 59. The little girl, my cousin, lived to be about 55 years. Great Uncle Donald was 97. Perhaps something of their genes.

Genes. With one exception, my father’s father, the grandparents longevity was 96, 97 and 100.
I’m doing what I can to foreshorten that expectation.

Ask me again in 10 years time…
:running_man:
:biking_man:
Holly
Well maybe not that… :009:

1 Like

30000 paces today, just another day at the office :grin:

1 Like

multiple faffs a day

I only hope I live as long as my dog does…then I dont care.

1 Like

Find, and do things that make you happy and lift your spirit. Have well balanced meals, spend time with yourself(play your favorite music, read a book). Learn something new.

3 Likes

I have no idea, as I smoke, eat junk food & am not particularly active. Just luck I guess.

3 Likes

It’s just about balance , I’m thoroughly enjoying getting back into weight training and cycling again but at this point in time I’m sitting here quaffing some red wine and I’m not going to beat myself up about it :wink:

Anyway, one day there’s going to be a knock on the front door and it ain’t gonna be Amazon !

th-544656284

Cheery stuff! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

My secret to longevity is quite easy, cheap and guaranteed to succeed, I make sure I wake up every morning. It’s working for me,

6 Likes

I would avoid weight training in the over 50s.

1 Like

Nothing more than sheer luck in my case.

1 Like

Ah, but you get to eat plenty of pasta and chicken… not to mention delicious shakes and fruit smoothies :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Regularly the dog every day at least a wain twice even in the rain

4 Likes

A good diet with lots of fruit and veg, lean meat mainly white meat and fish. Don’t drink a lot of alcohol and walk every day. I walk my dogs 4 times a day.
I wouldn’t say not smoke because a lady up our close passed away, she was 90 and smoked like a chimney. But both of us don’t and never have hubby is 67 and I’ll be 67 in March and we’re doing very well health wise.

3 Likes

My Dad lived to 86 and my Mum 97. Neither smoked and rarely drank. They ate quite healthily and grew most of their veg, salad stuff etc. they both worked in the garden, did their own housework and their treat was fish and chips on a seafront somewhere. mum loved her garden and feeding the wild birds.

After Dad passed away my Mum coped really well and enjoyed knitting, crochet, reading etc. she loved a good laugh and my goodness we had some! She never went abroad in her life but was quite happy in the UK. I took her away on lots of mini breaks and holidays after Dad died. She kept up to date with the news and current affairs. Everybody up our road knew her and liked her because she would always speak to everybody. Her motto was “you die if you worry, you die if you don’t. So why worry.”

Maybe there’s some bits in there that could be useful.

3 Likes

Diet, exercise and/or genes might all help but the worst part is that nothing works in the end. They only defer the hour. Sometimes, I can hardly stand the suspense. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Driving safely and avoiding those who don’t goes a long way to longevity…
Doesn’t matter what you eat, or how fit and healthy you are, getting hit by a bus is close of play…
Stephen Fry got it right when he said…“My thoughts go out to all the ladies on Titanic who refused the dessert after dinner”…

Yes, that sort of thing is always going to be a game changer :slight_smile:

1 Like