What's your secret to longevity? Diet, relationships, weather, purpose or?

Most everyone here has beaten the odds. Just by qualifying for the forum, you’ve lived longer than many.

What was YOUR secret to living as long as you have?

Did you expect to be around as long as you have?

Did you have a special diet, a special belief, a great relationship, a special purpose, a happy go lucky attitude, no vices, all the vices? Or was it all luck and circumstance and lucky genes? What kept you going when others might have given up?

What’s your secret to longevity?

Good genes

2 Likes

Yes I totally agree with AnnieS - followed by a stress free life

2 Likes

Luck?

2 Likes

Not really @butterscotch .

Life expectancy according to Worldometers:

Australia 83.73 years
Germany 82.18
UK 82.31
USA 79.71

Hopefully we all still have a while to go.

I’m not tempting fate! :wink:

1 Like

You must be addressing members in their eighties since for those younger, one might not talk of longevity any more. Life expectancy has increased. Most people are surprised when someone passes away in their late 60s. For those who reach the age of eighty and beyond it’s basically a life-long fair if not good nutrition and the advances in medicine which have made it possible. Most of my grandparents , if not killed in the war, died because there were no antibiotics at the time, they were exposed to a toxic environment unthinkable in the western world today, or diseases couldn’t be cured.

Apart from that it’s basically the genes, I’d agree, but would add that a strict Mediterranean lifestyle throughout one’s life has been proven to be helpful as well.

2 Likes

Keeping your head down :laughing:

3 Likes

keep yer finger on it

dip a toe in the water

keep your nose clean

1 Like

Not taking any notice of dietary advice or scares about this ‘n’ that. Moderate exercise. Hoping to turn 80 in November.

4 Likes

dental hygiene

I keep on takings the tablets.

1 Like

talk to the animals

woof woof

I always read the label and if in doubt I phone the doctor.

I’ve been lucky enough to live in a country that hasn’t been bombed.

1 Like

This is a few of my family and of their life expectancy. My mother lived to be 59. The little girl, my cousin, lived to be about 55 years. Great Uncle Donald was 97. Perhaps something of their genes.

Genes. With one exception, my father’s father, the grandparents longevity was 96, 97 and 100.
I’m doing what I can to foreshorten that expectation.