What's the weirdest thing you've found in your backyard?

Not in my garden but next door to me was an empty house and I popped in to cut some rubulb and there they are a lot of baby RATS.

Not weird but nice We have three types of possum in our backyard.Brushtail,Ringtail and Sugar Glider.

1 Like

a polecat,it ran into the patiodoors,it ran off,so guess it was ok

1 Like

I opened the front door for no particular reason on a very windy day. A hedgehog was on the doorstep. Must have been sheltering from the wind. I went to tell someone and when I returned a minute later it had disappeared.

1 Like

I went to my driveway to get in my car, and there was a rabid red fox slowly wandering near the road! He was sickly looking, and mangy. I retreated inside and immediately called my neighbors to warn them.

Other animals I commonly see are deer, foxes with little ones, possum, skunk, and squirrels. I love to watch the deer, sometimes with fawns.

1 Like

It was a windy night out. As the Scot’s would say, it was blowing a hoolie. The next morning I found this in my swimming pool. :bat:

Poor thing :frowning:

As far as I know, no vampires :vampire: were about that night or, was there…

2 Likes

Can you still see yourself in the mirror? :scream:

1 Like

A young deer - it looked as if it had been in a fight! It had jumped a low wall into the garden and was sitting under the hedge. Decided to leave it there - in the morning it was gone! Also squirrels, which got into the roof of the garage and caused a lot of damage. As the house was on the edge of the village frequently saw owls, bats, rabbits and hares

1 Like

I once found a solid statue of a lama made from bronze or possibly brass. It looked very old and it had large widgey carved underneath. I still have it somewhere but I haven’t seen it for years. I’ll have a look for it and post some pictures.

3 Likes

How do you think it got there?

I think it was probably discarded there. The property was a flat above a row of shops and I had a garden at the back with a very low wall.
I found it when I was cutting some long grass, it wasn’t buried, it was just lying on the surface of the ground.

2 Likes

Antiques Roadshow Ralph? …you never know!

If I can remember where I put it :thinking:

1 Like

One 12v car battery berried, one rusty rat trap.
Not in my garden but in my car, it was a hot day and parked in a café car park with one window open on return found a cat fast asleep on back seat.

1 Like

@Besoeker Not at this location, but where I used to live before on the very edge of The Solent. It was piece of metal that was later identified as a part from a Boeing aircraft.

We had something similar but from about 1950.

A hare and 3 tiny babies under a shrub. They were there for about a week, then they disappeared leaving one of the babies which was dead. I buried it. It was at Easter, so I called them my Easter bunnies.
A white peacock which had wandered from a nearby farm. It stayed for a few days, and used to sit on the patio looking at us through the window. It pooped everywhere.
At different times, a heron (which ate all the koi carp in next door’s pond), a baby owl, and an adder.
We are in the UK.

We don’t have a back yard only a back garden

realspeed, is this a language difference? - here in Australia, back yard of your house and back garden would mean same thing - although one could have a yard with no garden , I suppose - just dirt or weeds or suchlike.

Not my house but my parent’s old house - they had a swimming pool and one day there was a duck and ducklings swimming in it. Very cute.
There was a duck pond at the park about a mile away so must have come from there.

and one Christmas day we were having lunch at their place when we saw a koala running through the back yard - the area where they lived was i n the hills and there were often koalas i n the trees - but very unusual to see one at ground level and i n the day time, since they are nocturnal

It was a few years ago but do have a photo of that

1 Like

A chook.Flown over the fence from next door.My BH picked it up and took it back.The neighbour was gobsmacked,she’d never picked one up.They like it, especially the brown ones.