What's the most overrated food?

Saw this question, looked at some of the answers and wondered how you would answer.

Some of the answers on that site were anything covered in gold leaf. I haven’t had that, so I couldn’t say. Also any super expensive comfort food. I’d agree but I wouldn’t spend money on expensive comfort food.

For me, the answer is beef wellington. When i was young, I was lucky enough to have tasted beef wellington a number of times. It’s really good, but I’m not sure it lives up to the hype. It’s probably one of the fanciest foods I’ve eaten, so maybe that’s why it’s my pick as well.

What food do you think is overrated?

Any of the pretentious tripe you see on most cooking programs.

2 Likes

Agreed … anything by TV chefs … :-1:

1 Like

I like a GOOD Beef Wellington but they’re hard to find. Two things I don’t like are Foie Gras (too greasy and slimy for my taste) and ortolan bunting. I don’t like the crunch of the little bones. The worst thing overseas was Balut. Just plain NO!

2 Likes

Anything? I watch a lot of cooking shows. The range of things I’ve seen cooked on TV include toast, oatmeal, steak, peanut butter sandwiches, hamburgers, hot dogs, mac and cheese, pizza, tacos, sushi, every type of curry and on and on. The most mundane foods are on cooking shows.

That would leave almost every food imaginable as overrated.

Just watched an episode of Beat Bobby Flay where they cooked french toast.

Slightly unrelated note, I had that beef wellington before TV chefs were even a thing.

Oysters and caviar. I really can’t see what all the fuss is about. Swallowing an oyster was like swallowing a lump of salt water flavoured jelly, yuck. And caviar? Fishy flavoured tapioca pudding - not really disgusting, but just bland and boring.

3 Likes

I’m not that impressed with pizza, it’s tasty enough but just toasted cheese with a few bits and pieces really, I like it but I wouldn’t rave over it

And pork, again it’s nice enough,and I enjoy it, but I don’t really get the enthusiasm for roast pork with crackling or pork chops, I think it’s a bit bland

And chilli, I love a nice chilli con carne but they seem to shove chilli in everything now and I think it’s a way to make cheap, bland ingredients a bit tastier :rofl:

I’m not that impressed with Peri Peri and Nando’s

1 Like

The 1st time I tasted chicken Kiev was back in 1971 as my ex and I were returning from our honeymoon. It was delicious and I’ve enjoyed everyone I’ve had since. Beef Wellington has to be my all time favourite though - I can’t remember when I first tasted it though.

Maree is right, in my opinion, about pork. These days it’s so bland, it’s virtually tasteless.

1 Like

Maybe you’ve never had a proper pizza? As for cheap fast food joints such as Nando’s and the like? Not to my taste either.

Exactly what I was thinking. There’s nothing, absolutely nothing, that is as good a pizza as one made in Naples.

Nah, you see, I’ve travelled a bit, I’ve had pizza in Naples, Florence and Turin and ruddy lovely they were too, but I’m still not as signed up to the cult as some of you! It’s lovely but not my favourite

I think it might be because I like to have meals made up of little dishes of lots of things, wading through a huge pizza I get a bit bored. Definitely overrated for me

We’ve got an outdoor pizza oven and make our own too But I do that mostly for my chaps because they love it :heart_eyes:

Wanna see me spin that pizza dough? :pizza::pizza::pizza:

2 Likes

Yes, please. That sounds fabulous! :yum:

1 Like

Burgers.They are very popular but I don’t like the taste or texture.

1 Like

Roast chicken. Very popular but not my favourite!

1 Like

That’s the only thing I ever order on the menu because it’s safe :slightly_smiling_face:

Lobster. Would rather have a fresh crab any day.

I never understand why people rave over Prosecco either. Ghastly stuff. (Just had to include a drink).

2 Likes

I wouldn’t bet on that! :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:

3 Likes

Or perhaps I’m overwhelmed with all the choices so I stick with what’s ‘safe’

1 Like

Most yucky are oysters to me, nasty things & welks & jellies eels, not a great lover of sea food but I like prawns, shrimps, scampi, scallops & the few times I’ve had them, crab & lobster, but both too fussy to deal with whole myself. I eat Dover sole, scampi & plaice though, whichever is available at the chippy.
The most overated food is caviar, yuck!

1 Like

We haven’t dined out for quite some time and don’t intend to in the near future:).

1 Like