What's the first novel you read?

I don’t remember the first novel I read besides school primers but I do remember a book vividly that might have been my first novel. It was called Twenty one balloons. It was about a group of people who were stranded on a desert island. They created a big balloon to fly to safety.

All these years later, I’m still watching shows like Lost about people being stranded on a deserted island. That book made an impression on me.

What was the first novel you read?

1 Like

The Six Bad Boys, Enid Blyton has been controversial for some time now. There are no pixies or saucepan men in this story, social services,the police, parental responsibility certainly.
Quite unusual for Enid Blyton.

2 Likes

Black Beauty.

2 Likes

With tongue in cheek, I’ll say the Talmud and the Christian Old Testament :wink:

I think the actual novel was Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Seas and I cant remember finishing it. I mentioned religious texts first as they must have enjoyed excellent vivid imagination way back in the early days. Now watch me get struck down :cloud_with_lightning: :grin:

2 Likes

I read the usual children’s books such as Heidi, What Katy Did, Railway Children, Children of the New Forest etc. However the first ‘grown up’ novel I read was Jane Eyre when I was given it as a present for my twelfth birthday and I’ve read it and reread it many times since - it’s my favourite novel.

3 Likes

I can’t remember what the very first story I read was but I vividly remember receiving a gift of a lovely illustrated copy of 101 Dalmations - I loved that book and read the story many times.
I also recall reading a few of the illustrated books from the Noddy series by Enid Blyton in my pre-school days. I wasn’t that impressed with the stories but I remember some of the titles - Noddy goes to School, Noddy goes to Toyland, Noddy gets into Trouble. I can remember the colourful illustrations of the characters more than the stories, which all had the same basic theme, really - Noddy being naughty and getting into trouble!

I was the youngest child, so once I’d learned to read, I quickly moved on to reading story books for older age group children, which my older siblings had collected over the years.
I couldn’t join the Library and choose my own books until I was 7, so until then I worked my way through all the books in the house - some that stick in my mind are
The Borrowers, Just William, tales of Robin Hood, Black Beauty, Treasure Island, The Black Arrow, loads of Enid Blyton stories such as The Famous Five and The Secret Seven, fictional stories about life at Boarding schools like Mallory Towers and The Chalet School.

4 Likes

Wow, you have a great memory to remember all those books. I remember reading a lot when I was young and loving library books. But I don’t remember the titles as well as you have. I remember that I had to have a book to read before I fell asleep.

I used to receive the ‘Rupert Bear Annual’ each year, but after graduating from the usual early nursery stories I mainly read science and reference books. The first novel I read from cover to cover was ‘A Christmas Carol’ a book I read over and over again just before Christmas each year. I suppose it got me feeling all festive.
I then binged on ‘Biggles’ books. A fearless pilot and adventurer…

3 Likes

Like Pipsqueak, I too fondly remember Children of the New Forest … a children’s novel written by Frederick Marryat and set in the time of the English Civil War. The story follows the fortunes of the four Beverley children who are orphaned during the war and hide from their Roundhead oppressors in the shelter of the New Forest where they learn to live off the land.

I was given it as a prize in Primary 7 and still have it.

1 Like

Flowers in the attic.

1 Like

I dont remember my first book,but i do remember reading Brer Rabbit by Enid Blyton.
I loved it and the rest of the series was just as entertaining.
My 2 son`s also loved me reading them to them,sadly i let a in-law borrow them and they gave them away,i was damn furious.

1 Like

Just William - Rachael Crompton if I recall.

1 Like

The Adventures of the Wishing Chair by Enid Blyton. I read it more than once.

Also, The Brer Rabbit book. The Enchanted Wood. The Magic Faraway Tree and so many others.

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by CS Lewis.

Loved The Borrowers, Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys Classics as a kid.

2 Likes

Yes,did you read Gimlet too ?

I was into P G Wodehouse from quite early on I think.

I’ve just a thought. War of the Worlds by HGWells was my first adult book.

1 Like

Grown up novel? Probably “Fluke” by James Herbert when I was 11 or 12. I was a voracious reader and have a much older brother who this belonged to and was likely away at Uni when I swiped it. My first classic literature novel that I read out of choice (rather than the school syllabus) was Tess of the d’Urbivilles which I bought from a second hand book shop for about 10p when I was 14. It was about the time Tess was out at the cinema and it probably influenced me to buy the book.

1 Like

I hadn’t heard of ‘Gimlet’ Mr Smith, so I googled it and realise that the books were written by W E Johns, the same author as ‘Biggles’…So no, I’ve not had the pleasure. However, while I was googling it, guess what? A load of Biggles books popped up and I thought I might just see if I can remember any of them and read one again. Do you think that when you like something it stays with you as you grow older? I still see things in Mrs Fox that attracted me to her fifty years ago…

I should hope so :grinning:

1 Like

People change though Mr Smith and my question is: If you liked reading a certain book when you were younger, would you still get the same enjoyment from it as you did then…? Obviously, judging by the high divorce rate, not every one feels the same about their partner. Or do they?

1 Like

The joy of discovery would be gone. You’d have already read it, so you know how it plays out. But you’d still have familiarity and constancy and the memories.

1 Like