What would you do in his place?

Would you tell authorities you found them or not. I’m thinking that I would have kept my mouth shut. So he tells authorities and he gets half? There was nothing to begin with, then he found them. He should be paid for all and then the museum can keep them. IMHO . Yep I would have kept my yap shut. Besides emeralds match my eyes. :grinning:

I would have told the authorities.

2 Likes

I think I would hand them to the authorities in the hope that relatives of the deceased could be found and the items returned to the families.

3 Likes

You have more faith in the powers that be. I not sure how much effort will go into finding the rightful owners. Then the owners probably have to prove ownership. Big mess!

Oh I would have told them. He still gets half, so $150,000 for climbing a mountain, yep that’s fine with me!

3 Likes

For the purposes of OFC I would have handed the treasure over to the authorities :slightly_smiling_face:
Let’s all hug and sing Kumbaya

For the purposes of myself on that mountain top, I heard voices :crazy_face:
they said finders keepers, losers weepers

Altitude sickness isn’t such a bad thing… eh

2 Likes

It’s not like you’re turning in a work of art. They’re rocks. Not even Hope diamond type. Just expensive rocks. :grinning:

1 Like

Not sure if it’s international law, but “finders keepers” isn’t quite as legally binding as one might hope.

Apparently (am trying to remember what was said on QI ages ago), you ought to make a reasonable effort to find the actual owner, usually through handing in to the police. Can’t recall the time figure, but I believe there is a statute of limitation involved.

1 Like

I don’t know … a plane crash 50 years ago, I probably would have just kept it. But something 500 years old would have historic value and I probably would hand it over.

2 Likes

It is if you keep your mouth closed. :grinning:

2 Likes

This is somewhat similar to something the Dali Llama (forgive my spelling) said when someone asked him to comment on a load of vandalised historic statues. “They’re only stones”.

1 Like

My Sister and I found some donuts I think they were by the Bus Stop In Katherine Street, Croydon…
…We had been Swimming in the Scarbrook Hill indoor Swimming Pools, they even had bathing in baths back then.
… We took them to just around the corner, the Police Station no less where they listened to me.
He said take them with you back home and gave us a given time that if nobody came forward we could eat them.
With Danny’s question I would say
I would know for sure… if I had been in that situation.
Honest I feel am, but just thinking of a scenario where money was needed desperately, then that speaks more for itself…
But what if is was a hiding place from a robbery…mmm the mind is plotting deeper now… :innocent:

3 Likes

Thing is, if you kept them what would you do with them?, I assume sell them but where? Surely you must have to prove reasonably how you came to have them, then, if you did sell them, then you run the risk of someone recognising them, any jewellers or auction house would have to cover themselves …?

1 Like

Keeping them all to myself appeals to me, but then how do you turn them into money without somebody finding out?

We had a burglary many years ago…daytime robbery…broke down the inner front door and took various obvious things and a few not…food out the freezer pair of worn DM boots…fur cover off the bed, guessing that they put the gear in it…antique clocks and my beautiful wild animal rug off the wall…
They took our Amateur Radio…and accessories…
end of is the radio had some sound faults…when this Guy spoke to us a few weeks done the line…It seemed to be our stolen one…
Although by this time we had been paid out my the Insurance Company we reported this to the Police…not just about the money.
We had worked some magic on this other Amateur Radio Operator. Chatted away friendly and got out of him where he had purchased it…We actually got the name of the second hand shop…
The Police visited the shop but there was no trace to where the Radio had gone…no proof that the Shop had anything to do with it…
That was the last we heard of the case…We did not hear him again either but you can see that because of the flaw it showed up and sure it was ours…

1 Like

I dunno jbr , they might look nice with my green dress and heels…

1 Like

I would have kept them.Wouldn’t want trouble the authorities with all that unnecessary paper work.

1 Like

Ah, so you’d buy them from me?

1 Like