What would you advise your 40 year old self

Hello folks,

Hope you all had a nice weekend.

Sorry if this topic has already been covered.

There was quite a struggle in my life,
I was diagnosed with Kidney failure at 33, was on dialysis for next 6 years, kidney transplant done last year in August.

I have started thinking a lot about future & I want to live my life to the fullest.

I moved to UK 13 years ago for my MBA. I worked in the banking industry before my kidney diagnosis. I left the 9 to 5 industry after I started dialysis, now I drive taxi for living.

I have got tremendous respect for older people. There is so much to learn from them & that is why I am here, I am here for advise.

Its like I am about to embark on a journey and asking for advise from someone who has already been on that journey. ( advise on things like, pitfalls, traps, mistakes and lot more between the age 40 & 50)

Please do not get offended I m 40 and this group is for above 50 but it will be too late if I join when I am 50. I want to start “putting things right” now.

I will leave this group if you say so after I get replies from you. Thank you.

Kind regards,

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I hope you find the advice you’re looking for here.

I hope you enjoy the forum for other stuff too.

My advice to my younger self would be to try to go easier on myself. Life is hard enough without the self criticism. That might not apply to you. But that’s the advice I would give my younger self.

Hope you enjoy your stay here. :blush:

PS. Don’t worry about the age thing.

1 Like

Helloo Seeker.
I’m glad you are better.
I’m only 21 really and I’ve never learnt anything from this lot (only joking)

I would say don’t worry about what others think of you.They don’t know you as well as you do.

2 Likes

Don’t wait until 40 for life to start.

1 Like

Hi Seeker, and welcome to OFC. We don’t care what age you are (well, apart from being jealous of your youth of course :wink:)

When I was around your age, I went on a massive diet and lost 3.5 stone, started going to the gym regularly, and hadn’t felt so fit and healthy for years. I kept it up for around 3 years, but then I needed major surgery, had to give up the gym for a while, the weight crept back on, and before long I was back to my old self. So my advice to my younger self would be: don’t let obstacles knock you off course, don’t get complacent, look after yourself, keep yourself fit and keep the weight off. Because then I probably wouldn’t have the trouble with my knees and back that I do now.

Sounds like you’ve been through a lot to get where you are now, and maybe my advice doesn’t quite fit your situation. But I would definitely say make a promise to yourself now to keep yourself fit and healthy - eat well, exercise regularly, and keep it up. Your 70 year old self will thank you :blush:

1 Like

Hi Seeker and welcome. I would have advised my 40 year old self to listen more to my 20 year old self. I was much wiser, more tolerant and kinder then than I am now.

1 Like

Hello Seeker and welcome to the forum.
My advice for right now would be to try and get far away from driving a taxi. With a kidney transplant and the anti rejection drugs probably needed to keep it place, the last thing you need is an infection from a fare paying passenger you are carrying.
As for further advice for age 41 and above, I will have to think about that and reply later.

1 Like

Hello Seeker, nice to meet you, I’m new myself and I think you’ll like it here :blush:

I’m sorry to hear about your kidney problems and wish you all the best x

I think I’d tell my 40 year old self to not always be looking forward at what I wanted to achieve but take time out to enjoy what I’d got.

And to look closer to home for my fulfilment

And to do a bit more exercise and watch the weight doesn’t creep on!

1 Like

I wish I had gone self employed a lot earlier than I did. Best move I ever made.

1 Like

I would have made more effort to change my career back then.

1 Like

It’s a really interesting question Seeker. Life is a decision tree and I would say choose carefully.

1 Like

My advice would be: Seize on opportunities that open up for you because they are limited in number. Do not wait for the ideal one and get stuck but also accept the second best and proceed.

1 Like

Welcome Seeker to this wonderful group.
As others have already said, health is the most important thing in anybody’s life.
I don’t know what class of taxi you drive as many people call themselves ‘Taxi’ drivers from Uber to private hire.
I could call myself a real taxicab driver having passed the knowledge of London in 1962, and gained my badge and bill. Retired now of course after 45 years
 Second best job in the world. The first being retired.
My advice to you would be, when without a job in the cab, get out of the cab and if you can, keep moving. Talk to the other drivers if on a rank.
Exercise and a healthy diet, but I expect you already realise this. Watch your weight.

2 Likes

There is no advice at 40 that I can think would be “in stone”. Someone, somewhere, must have said that the only thing that doesn’t change is change itself. I made the best decisions all through life (I’m 74 now) but I see that it was all for nought. I nurtured myself and my family with the assurance that things would be as they were and even as I predicted they would be. But alas 
! I can take of myself but I no longer have anything to say for the future of my children and the world they’ve inherited.

2 Likes

I would tell myself

• To stop smoking straight away

• To keep well away from brunettes that have very long legs and wear short skirts

• To start doing exercise and to watch my weight

• To eat healthy meals and to drink moderately

• To stay away from blondes with large breasts and shorts skirts, just recently widowed.

• To learn to play a musical instrument.

1 Like

What about redheads? Not got round to one of them yet? :joy::joy:

2 Likes

I just realised what a brave man Seeker is!

Nobody, but nobody, goes on an old people’s site and asks for advice and gives them a chance to talk about their years gone by!

3 Likes

“Old people’s” @Maree ? How very dare you?

Speak for yourself😉

2 Likes

Come of it, if you’re posting on here you’re over the hill! Otherwise you’d be off sending pics of your undies on Whatapp or poaching eggs in a ladle on TikTok :joy:

I’m 64 and ‘course that’s old, ‘bloody lucky to have lived this long’ as my granny used to say when people moaned about getting old

And us old folk do love to talk about the past and give unsolicitated advice, don’t we?

Seeker’s just begging for it! :joy:

3 Likes

Live long and prosper

1 Like