What were your early vehicles after passing your driving test?

My first number plate was ACH112 but don’t you need to know that in the UK?

I seem to remember it was the first question the police asked if they stopped you. I doubt many people know their number plate here because it changes every time you damage or lose the plates. You need to know your driving licence number instead.

1 Like

My first car was a vw golf.

1 Like

Snap! That was my first car too, Besoeker. :slightly_smiling_face:

Then I think I had a Ford Fiesta followed by a Mini Clubman, then 3 Morris Minors - a Traveller, a pick up, then the saloon, and a vauxhall Astra later.
Loved the old Moggies though. :smiley:

1 Like

I think I was 1965 at the time. Unfortunately it was not the most reliable. I did a not of work on it including removing the engine to fix it my dad’s garage. Blown gaskets were the demise.

Life moves on.

1 Like

First vehicle Suzuki 400 1978
Second vehicle Kawasaki Ninja 1988

1 Like

My first car was a FIAT 131 Miafiori, which promptly fell apart in the few months I had it.

2 Likes

I learnt to driver in a Landrover, at about 12 years old on the family farm.

1 Like

Had to google that. I know the Mirafiori name, but couldn’t place it. The were regarded quite sporty weren’t they?

Passed my test in 1966 on a BSA C15 then had many motorcycles, from an AJS G3L 350cc to a BSA A65 650cc with a few Triumphs and Nortons in between.

I passed my car test in a VW Beetle then bought a Ford Anglia van, followed by many common 60’s cars from a Hillman Minx to a Morris Minor to a Ford Consul, all rust buckets and I didn’t go anywhere without a full set of tools!

Fun days though… :grinning:

2 Likes

I had a very old beat up Hilman Imp anyone remember them…it was a burgundy colour I thought it was lovely.

2 Likes

And you could reach the pedals? :rofl:

2 Likes

… only just!

2 Likes

my first car was a Ford Anglia 1954 100e model reg no 842 CMU. Had so many cars since then hard to remember them all. Cost me £125 second hand way back in 1962.

1 Like

My hisbands 1st car was a Ford Anglia I remember if you lifted the carpets in the footwell you could see the road under your feet . :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I bought a Mini traveler when I was learning to drive & persuaded other drivers to help me practice when I didn’t have a lesson with my instructor.
The day after I passed my test I picked up 2 of my colleagues on the journey to work… & that continued for years, till I moved to another branch of the bank!

1 Like

Wasn’t that an early attempt at air conditioning?

2 Likes

My first car was a Ford Consul. I wish I had got a Zephyr but that was what was available and cheap.

2 Likes

Haha, that sounds familiar @summer , my dad’s first car was an old Ford 8 and that was the same but without the carpet. When it rained or he went through a puddle we had to lift our feet up, in fact if we knew it was going to rain we wore our wellies…:rofl:

2 Likes

My first car was a Vauxhall Viva A (the one known as The Mars Bar because of it’s shape). My second was a Hillman Super Minx 1.5Lt.

1 Like

A 1947 Ford Prefect . It belonged to my dad but I borrowed it and with a friend of mine, we took it to Coromandel in 1957 when I had just got my drivers license. In those days we had Traffic Cops, not police who looked after driving and road behavior. When I sat for my license with a traffic cop sitting in the passengers seat, we drove around the block, reverse parked, negotiated a big roundabout and then after that I answered questions while we still sat in the car. I answered about 10 questions successfully the final one was “How close to a pedestrian crossing can you park?” I didn’t have a clue!! “200 yards?” He laughed and said “You’ll be OK there!” and passed me.

2 Likes