What was your first Car!

Mine was hubbys car , sierra Ghia ,
I only took my test in 86
But i drove my brothers cars when chaperoned by them in the 70s

1 Like

A Fiat Uno, in 1987 when I had just passed my driving test (for the third time :grinning:). My dad bought it though, not me, even if I was already working :slightly_smiling_face:
I remember how popular these cars were in those years, especially for Italian families :smiley:

1 Like

I bought my first car in 1956, a pre war Austin 8.

1 Like

A bright yellow Ford Granada,written off by an idiotic neighbour of a family member who did not use his mirrors and reversed into the side at good speed.

1 Like

A Fiat 131 Miafiori. A worthless rust bucket that barely ran.

1 Like

As mentioned elsewhere my first car was a 1947 Hillman Minx as it happens I still have the drivers handbook explaining the features and pages of grease nipples that needed attending to.

First page was all the driving controls including the ignition advance the winder to open the windscreen, the individual windscreen wiper controls.

Even a guide to operating the air conditioning lever and window controls

…and those kingpins! how I hated those king pins.

Here it is in all its glory parked outside my parents house.

Note suicide doors and the modern blinkers on the roof, I fitted them to replace the trafficators that flipped out of the door pillar and stayed out if you were travelling over about 20mph

3 Likes

I’ve never called the gear stick a change speed lever,have I been wrong for all these years?

1 Like

Yep, obviously.

Ah well.My days of having to change gear are over now anyway.

2 Likes

My second car was a post war Hillman Minx. It had a bench front seat and a steering column gear change.

1 Like

I think all granadas were jinxed
I Got mine brand new in 1993. And found the electric doors ,kept locking me inside the car
Then the wind screen wipers fell off through heavy rain ,
Then i found out it was a Cut and Shut car , 2 different cars :pleading_face: :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Then when we went back to the dealer , they had gone
So, we were ripped of 20.000 pounds .

In 1977 I was given a second hand automatic DAF as a surprise gift from my husband having just passed my driving test.
I was 7 months pregnant at the time and drove from Dorchester to Mothercare in Bournemouth for baby clothes to christen the car . I ran out of petrol on the journey home and sat and cried waiting for the AA man to rescue me.

1 Like

Omg Cosmos6,thats awful.
I would never buy from any dealer other than the likes of Ford etc.
There are so many iffy dealers out there.

1 Like

My first car was a red Volkswagen Golf. No power steering and the clutch was a nightmare. :oncoming_automobile:

1 Like

Mine was a Mini 1100 Special, not bought brand new, far too expensive!

1 Like

In the 50s my Dad was a chauffeur/handyman for a wealthy lady. He used to drive her around in a Lanchester which was decades old then. She sold it and bought a Singer Gazelle which she left to my Dad when she died.

That was our first family car and my Dad treasured it. It’s reg was 891 DYX. We parked up at a seaside once next to an identical car with 892 DYX reg. what are the chances of that?

1 Like

I drove one of those in the early 1960s, a friend of a friend had childhood arthritis (terrible disease) and owned one. I seem to remember the gear lever was pushed either forward or backward to travel in that direction. It was the first time I came across CVT gears. Well before their time I think.

2 Likes

On reflection I think that I would have driven that DAF in the late 60’s probably between 1969 and 1972.

1 Like

I didn’t learnt to drive till my late 20s so a white Toyota MR2 was my first car.

1 Like

Our Farmer had an Armstrong Sidley

1 Like