What was your experience of changing to a Smart Meter?

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Bruce,
Understand what you are implying, however, it was a point raised earlier when they started blanket installation; I’m taking into consideration all issues and making a decision based on feedback and what I already know. The same as I did when they first introduced the old, ‘Mars bar’ - your comment brought me back to yesteryear - when they used to give off the most uncomfortable heat and the headaches after were horrendous.

Sorry I was bit harsh but the fact remains there is no low frequency radiation any more than the 5G network will cause your brain to explode. This is the same woolly thinking that banned phone towers from being near schools when it would actually make more sense to put the towers on top of the schools.

These smart meters like most vending machines use the ordinary mobile phone network to phone home and perhaps the ordinary wifi network to tell you what is going on.

The only sensible reason not to accept the smart meter is that it would allow the electric company to charge for apparent power (VA) rather than real power (watts) but I suspect that such a change would cause an outcry that even they would think twice. All the rest is nonsense.

I hadn’t heard of the certification expiry regulations before but I checked it out and both OFGEM and Government websites confirm it is a legal requirement to replace meters when the certification period expires, as well as all the energy supplier websites.

From what I’ve read, the energy supplier is legally obliged to replace a domestic meter that has reached the certification expiry date and the householder is obliged to let them, so it sounds to me as if you don’t have a choice about allowing them to replace the meter.
The Householder does still have the right to refuse to have a Smart Meter fitted but, in practice, most energy companies do not carry supplies of old-style meters now, so if you refused a Smart Meter, they would fit a “dumb” SmartMeter (i.e. they wouldn’t activate it to send meter readings automatically)

I checked my own electric meter, which was fitted in 2008 and it does have certification date starting in 2008 printed on the meter and it is a “sealed for life” static meter and certification lasts for 20 years, so that is useful to know.
If I manage to resist and avoid having a Smart Meter for the next 6 years, I may be having to let the energy company replace my meter by 2028 anyway.

Here’s a list of different meters and certification periods if you want to check the energy company are telling the truth. My meter wasn’t listed on here but I found the full specification and certification period online by typing in the Meter brand and model number.

1 Like

No apologies necessary, Bruce! Welcome all perspectives.
I believe that many who refuse are concerned about the lack of control i.e., regular access to meter, but others, whether unfounded or not, require assurance that safety is coming first. And though it may be nonsense to some, a clear explanation as to why and how, would alleviate some of the trepidation. It’s human nature to want to know the why, and self-preservation is a good driver of query.

Super information, Boot!

I went on the Gov website earlier in the week, but I did not have the Schedule listing, so thank you.

Though I have mainly ignored the communications for a few years, I believe right now, it would be a good idea to be more aware of how much energy we are using. And to be honest, our technology is changing so quickly we could see these new meters becoming obsolete in a few decades, if not sooner. The smart meter roll-out started around 2011 and has already seen the SMET 2.

You piqued my interest so I had a search for a similar thing here and it appears that there is no legislation about the age of meters. I had a closer look at mine and they both have dates on them

That’s the 2 phase supply for the house and apparently 31 years old

And this is the off peak supply for the water heater which is 30 years old (I missed it’s birthday)

As you can see they were installed by the Illawarra County Council I think they were disbanded in 1995 (ish)

The meters are still going strong and as I am not wanting solar on the roof will stay until the energy company tells me otherwise.

They actually came to fit a smart meter some time back but found friable asbestos in one of the fuses so buggered off without doing any work. I removed the asbestos but they have never come back.

I can’t remember how long I’ve had my smart meters but I have
no regrets.

2 Likes

I think there are other gadgets you can use instead of getting a smart meter.

My husband goes into nearly 50 homes every week and very few people have much positive to say about smart meters.

Did people ever have anything positive to say about the old meters? or indeed anything that costs them money? When did you last say anything nice about your water meter?

I say very negative things about my meters because they are so hard for the meter reader to read correctly.

Does your husband ask them for their opinion or do they
volunteer it?

They just get talking about cost of living, electricity bills etc and then they mention Smart meters.

Got one love it.

See nothing wrong with smart meters

Yes, being stuck in the house yesterday with the Gas Fire on, I visited the smart meter on a few occasions and tweaked the setting on the fire accordingly.

1 Like

Just a thought…

Foxy, when I built the downstairs Lav it was originally a small double doored cupboard in the hallway and, the meters were randomly situated within it. Originally I had to build an elaborate structure to conceal them that had no storage space, and, the cost of moving the meters was quite exorbitant so, I knew we would be moving from here in due course, and, where-ever we move to next would stand a good chance of being kitted out with a smart meter anyway, so, during the installation process, I got the technician to site the new meters on the shelf in the new storage unit, the was my simple logic for doing so.

Surely suppliers are not allowed to disconnect electricity for non payment just when they feel like it? There must be a process. However cutting off power temporarily during an overload scenario happens whether there is a smart meter or not.

The electricity company controls my off peak hot water and can delay turning it on or turn it off early if power generation is down (it’s done by tones over the power network)

I had forgotten that UK meters are indoors taking up space. Our are always outside so the meter reader doesn’t need access to the house.

I think the cold bath situation is just over the horizon.

How does it work when you have solar power? I understand that people sell it to the electricity companies, but do you need a smart meter to do so? is that one way to avoid this dratted invasion?

That’s why they are rolling out smart water metres, to cover all basins…

1 Like