What was your best Halloween costume?

Halloween is coming up soon.

Truthfully, it’s not my favorite holiday, but I do remember a costume I wore when I was really little because there’s a picture of it. I wore a black cape with a plastic orange pumpkin for candy. There was probably a mask that I had misplaced by the time the photo was taken.

What was your best costume? Bonus points for a costume you’ll be wearing this year.

My favorite costume was one I wore to a club when I was about 30!
I was a pirate, complete with poncho and a parrot on my shoulder, knee high boots and sword. I had to practice walking with my legs bow legged and stomping around so friends wouldn’t know I was a woman. I also couldn’t sit with my husband, but acted a true stranger all evening. Complete with a mug of ale. Aarrgghhh! :pirate_flag:

1 Like

You must like Talk like a pirate day. :slight_smile:

It’s on Sept. 19 this year.

1 Like

What a cute idea! However, too many years have passed. If I tried to sound like a pirate today friends would think I smoked cigars, garble my words, or had too many glasses of rum. :crazy_face:

1 Like

You could do all that and tell everyone you are just talking like a pirate.

1 Like

My one and only Halloween outfit was back in the days when I was a scout leader. I turned up at the hall as Frankenstein. I went to a great deal of trouble getting it to look right and the most difficult bit was the bolts through the neck. Several thicknesses of blood soaked bandage and a couple of lightweight plastic bolts did the job. I even mastered the stiff legged walk with the arms outstretched. It scared a few neighbours on the walk to and from home. The strange thing was, the kids recognised me instantly.

4 Likes

There were kids on an estate where I lived who never bothered to dress up.It was threat or treat.If you didn’t give them a treat they’d throw flour over your door.So you didn’t open the door and they’d still throw the flour.

2 Likes

I have never had a Halloween costume , I don’t remember there being such a thing as Halloween when I was a child just ‘Bonfire night’.

3 Likes

You beat me to it @Meg - I was just about to say the same!

1 Like

When Children came knocking at my front door one night , I went out the back door with a White Sheet covering me , and scared the living daylights out of them when I appeared from at side of them . :open_mouth:

2 Likes

As far as I am concerned the whole ‘trick or treat’ thing is just cheap and tacky - one of the less appealing american imports. It makes a complete mockery of All Hallows.

1 Like

For trick or treat, I open the door with a few giant Madagascan hissing Cockroaches in my hand. Kids love them.

But a friends costume is for me the best. He has a sheet with empty whisky, vodka etc bottles attached & the words. “Dearly Departed Spirits,” across the back & front.

1 Like

We didn’t celebrate Hallowe’en in my earlier days, it wasn’t until my children’s era that it was mentioned.

When their friends used to visit on that day I gave the twins a white sheet to throw over their heads. :grinning:

1 Like

What is bonfire night like? What do people do on bonfire night?

How do people celebrate All Hallows?

Bonfire night is November 5th, also called Guy Fawkes Night. Guy Fawkes Night - Wikipedia

As a child, my Dad would build a bonfire in the back garden, and we’d have a box of fireworks to let off. Mum would make toffee apples, and put potatoes at the bottom of the bonfire to roast for later. Pea soup was another staple of bonfire night. A scene replicated in back gardens up and down the country. Sometimes we joined together with neighbours in their garden, and pooled resources.

It has changed over the years, with most people these days going to organised firework displays. Even they have changed, because unlike when my children were little, these community events no longer have bonfires - Health & Safety put a stop to them. Instead there’ll be a good firework display and lots of food vans, people selling candy floss, flashing wands, flashing necklaces, all that sort of thing.

I miss the old bonfires, but there were often accidents, where neighbourhood kids would light them ahead of the day, and mess around with fire. Also, and this always saddened me so much, lots of hedgehogs got burned alive after crawling into a bonfire to hibernate, having no idea, of course, that a few days later it would be set alight.

So these days it’s really Firework Night, rather than Bonfire Night. And unlike in my childhood, it’s become a moveable feast, with community events being held on the nearest Friday, Saturday or Sunday, before or after the 5th November. It’s lost its way in my opinion :frowning_face:

Edited to add: I forgot to mention the guy! In the good ole days, kids would make a guy - they’d get an old pair of trousers and a jacket and stuff them with straw, make some sort of head from an old pillowslip or something, also stuffed with straw, put a hat on top, and then wheel it around the neighbourhood in a wheelbarrow, old pram, whatever they could find, and shout out “Penny for the Guy”, hoping for donations from all and sundry so they could buy fireworks! Then on the big night, the ‘Guy’ would be placed on top of the bonfire to burn.

1 Like

Thank you for the description. Sounds so toasty, comfy and yummy. Sad that those traditions had to change although I understand why.

1 Like