What television show were you not allowed to watch as a teenager?

What might have been considered inappropriate way back when probably wouldn’t raise an eyebrow today.

My mum hated Top of the Pops

Why may I ask?
It’s a very vague memory but my Dad really got annoyed about this fella.

hqdefault

1 Like

I was a teenager in the 70s,and i don`t remember not being allowed to watch anything that was on.
Then again tv programs were tame as Maree has stated.

Dragnet.

1 Like

I remember how my Dad cheered up when Pans People came on.

2 Likes

We didn’t even have electricity in South Yorkshire till 1968…
I was eighteen then and on a five year mission to sup as much beer as I could…The mission failed after just four years when I met Mrs Fox…
Interesting to note though…Coronation Street was a soap about the lives of folks in a northern town - Weatherfield…
These days it’s woke, and more about teaching us how we should be acting, it’s the other way round now - It shows us what normal should be like according to ITV…

does anyone remember Mary Whitehouse?
If she knew todays carry ons , and LBG she would be going mental…

2 Likes

I remember that she wasn’t impressed by Chuck Berry’s ding-a-ling.

2 Likes

At a slight tangent, as a teenager as Black & White TV was barely beginning. We rode our bicycles maybe 5 or 6 kilometres to stand outside at night to watch a TV in a tiny shop window where the owner had hung a small audio speaker outside above the window. It was great with our little group all standing ( no seats ) We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The simple pleasures of an era long gone. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

We didn’t have a television as a teenager.

1 Like

Dragnet

Would ‘Black & White’ television be banned now for being racist? The ‘Black & White Minstrels’ were, and those funny little enamel badges that ‘Robertson’s’ gave away with tokens from ten jars of jam…

I didn’t watch TV as a teenager. We didn’t have a TV until I was in my mid teens and by then I had far more interesting things to do (often involving girls).

My old man refused to have a TV in the house for most of my childhood when he finally relented it was a rented TV. Supposedly a portable but the only thing portable about it was the handle on the top - being packed with valves it weighed a ton.

4 Likes

Not sure when we got a TV, maybe 1970?
I remember being able to see it from the dinner table at the end of the hallway.

I don’t think so.
Modern SLR cameras can take monochromatic photos.

1 Like

I was just being mischievous Bretrick…
:nerd_face: