What streaming devices do you use

Thanks! That’s all I needed to know :+1:

1 Like

I mainly use Amazon music which is very cheap for Prime members, but I have signed up to Spotify’s free version because it has a much broader choice of classical music.

At first they only allowed paying customers to link their account to Amazon Echo, but then they changed this and the free account can be linked, so I tried it. Er, don’t bother! It’s so full of irritating adverts! So I just listen to it on my iMac instead. Not as convenient, but I can’t be doing with the ads.

2 Likes

So you still get ads even though you pay for it? Oooh no, I don’t want that!

1 Like

Nooooo! I meant when I linked my free account to Amazon Echo. No ads with paid service. Sorry, I wasn’t clear :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Ahh :laughing: ok, that’s quite good then, I suppose. Yes I’ll give it a go then. I don’t tend to listen to music when I’m out though…which is why I was hesitant. But if I can cancel and no harm done, then its fine.

2 Likes

I wasn’t sure it this thread was about the streaming “devices” or the “services” that you use.

As for services:

I only pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime, the latter I rarely watch but it was so cheap it has already saved enough in postage to make it worthwhile.

However my daughter has a family membership for Disney+ and Spotify, The former I rarely use, the latter I use everyday.

Naturally there is also iView, SBS OnDemand and YouTube which I watch fairly regularly and my NAS is set up as a server for videos downloaded from the Internet.

As for Devices (the subject of the thread?)

Most of the time I use my main TV which is an Android device coupled to my home theatre so the sound is loud enough for me to hear. I have another Bravia Sony TV in my bedroom but it cannot receive Netflix so I have an el cheapo Android box coupled to that for the rare occasions I want to watch a streaming service in my bedroom.

Spotify is exclusively on my phone but it can be connected via Bluetooth to headphones, my Flip4 speakers and my Stereo/home theatre. That is one service i wouldn’t be without.

I also would not be without my, now antique, WD TV Live Media devices which use the NAS and which I also have in my camper for those wet evenings when travelling. They went out of production something like a decade ago but I love 'em (Ebay is your friend)

None of the above.

I just got a firestick as my telly stopped supporting iplayer, and its good. It’s linked to Alexa so I just shout ‘continue watching Clarkson farm’ or sommat and it turns the telly on, changes channels and starts where I left off! Clever! Shame Alexa can’t play my CDs that are all on my pc. Now THAT would be clever!

1 Like

Amazon Prime, Netflix, Disney plus the usual ones.

The only one I use is Viki a lot of their programs are free you do have to pay for some cost $50 a year

I have tried most of the streaming services and found that I really do not like the overwhelming majority of American TV series which are invariably twice as long as they need to be. I much prefer foreign crime dramas which are not padded out with unnecessary story lines or personal issues.
Cannot remember which streamng service it was on but subscribed just to watch Gangs of London which I did enjoy.

Mainly my Willy… :clown_face:

Having just bought a Roku streamer for £20 delivered, I’m very pleased with my purchase. I mainly use it for Mrs LD catching up on free-to-air programmes missed and a few other interesting screenings :+1:

1 Like

We watch Netflix on a laptop with a bluetooth speaker … in bed. I like the “mini series”, just finished a Spanish one and started a Turkish one, The Gift.

We’ve got TV’s around the house but prefer watching on the laptop.

I don’t like scheduled TV anymore, I like to watch and binge when I feel like it.

1 Like

We don’t pay for Netflix, we use someone else’s log in details.

1 Like

Netflix has more than 200 million subscribers around the world, and now the company is looking at ways to curb password sharing for both business and security reasons.

A new feature, first spotted by GammaWire, prevents people who are not authorized to use the account from accessing it. A Netflix spokesperson told The Verge, “This test is designed to help ensure that people using Netflix accounts are authorized to do so.” If Netflix detects that someone is trying to use the account without being an account owner, they’ll be asked to verify later or verify being an account owner through an email code or text code.

If someone is unable to verify account ownership within a certain timeframe, they won’t be able to stream any Netflix content. Instead, they’ll be asked to make their own account. While this may not prevent all password sharing — hypothetically, an account owner could send their friend the code as it comes through — the idea is that it will prevent some password sharing.

The test, which isn’t specific to any one country for any specific length of time, is also being rolled out to try to better security measures around account protection. If there’s a malicious attempt to use an account for which someone may have gained a password through fraudulent methods, they won’t be able to access the account.

When I log on, legitimately, to NetFlix, I get a warning, on my phone, that my account is being accessed - I don’t know if that’s part of the test.

Hmmm well if they change the rules we may end up having to pay for it. I don’t think we could live without Netflix now.

How much does it cost in the UK anyway? We’re currently sharing with our son in Australia.

Before we start to worry, just know that it might be some time before Australian users have to start paying for their freeloading family members and friends.

Time for me to cancel … :thinking:

1 Like

We have 2 firesticks & a Roku. We used to pay for Netflix, but dropped it s no one was using it. I watch Britbox a fair amount as they have some very good shows on there & we also use BBC & channel 4, plus a few others.

1 Like