What’s the spiciest thing you’ve ever eaten?

Thankyou, I didn’t think of that, they had some on the menu

Somehow it got up my nose and burned there too, made me cry!

Look , I found a photo of the hot stuff, it’s that blob of green, it just looks like some sort of innocent sauce, doesn’t it?

1 Like

It looks utterly benign and harmless…I gather it’s not!
What is it Maree, I think I might like to try some?

1 Like

I love wasabi. But not the entire thing in one bite. I hope you didn’t eat the ginger all in one go as well. That would have been a double whammy.

1 Like

Paratha is a flaky flat bread common in Paratha is a flatbread native to South Asia, prevalent throughout India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh, Maldives, Afghanistan, Myanmar, Malaysia, Singapore and many other nations.

1 Like

It’s wasabi, Japanese horse radish, and I think how hot it is can vary!

“Wasabi is said to have a heat level similar to Jalapeño Peppers which fall between 2,500 SHU and 8,000 SHU .”

3 Likes

I liked the ginger and I knew what it was so just had a little bit at a time with the sushi

The wasabi I thought was going to be a creamy advocadoey mayonaissey type thing so I put on a big dollop!

3 Likes

Ah wasabi… I’ve heard of it but never tried any. I’ll see if I can source some of the more pokey stuff locally, otherwise I’ll have a little look on Amazon :+1:

3 Likes

It is actually milk that is the best - something to do with molecules in milk that replace the hot molecules in chilli in the receptors in your mouth (or so I read many years ago)

2 Likes

Yes, that rings bell for me too.

1 Like

Oh neat, like Nan or Pita. Thanks!

1 Like

It is good in small amounts, it’s a slightly different heat to chilli and curry, more like English mustard, if that makes sense?

Wasabi peas are nice with a beer. It’s a green peas coated in wasabi

They’re what psmith thought was a chocolate covered nut! :hot_face::fire:

1 Like

Had hot (flames shouting out here!) Horseradish at just 8 years old. Whoa Nelly… Sibling’s wedding main dish from the menu.

Roast beef, cooked to perfection, roasted potatoes and broccoli florets with cheese sauce. But right in front of me was a wee dish with white flakes. Curiosity got the best of me and I asked gramps to my right.

He told me it was a condiment sauce to accompany the tender slices of roast beef on my plate. I picked up some with the spoon that was there. Scooped some with my knife and stuck it on top of the beef that was in my fork in my left hand and brought it to my mouth.

WHOA! My eyes were watering major waterfall… But overall it was delish and to this day I’m adding a thin coating of horseradish sauce onto my roast beef sandwich. Manga!

proxy-image(4)

2 Likes

I grew a horseradish and used the root to make some sauce. Never again. The real thing is just way out there in terms of heat vs these pots. I’ve been wondering whether there is any other use for horseradish outside of the sauce as it’s just too hot.

2 Likes

A great way to ruin a decent sushi. I used to faithfully put a little spot of this on but then realised it’s much nicer without it.

3 Likes

I’ve heard and read in ancestors’ books that one use was against scurvy.

It had many uses in medicines of medieval times. Here’s the Wikipedia’s link for Horseradish:

And link for medicinal uses:

1 Like

I personally prefer my sushi with Soya sauce. Tried Sushi at a Japanese restaurant once for Mother’s Day. Burned a wee hole on the tip of my tongue.

Grabbed the Soya and swore never to touch that wasabi. Remembering the line from Cars Disney. I much prefer Pistachio Ice Cream :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

They make a cream out of chilli peppers, capaicin, that’s supposed to be very good for arthritis pain and anti inflammatory

1 Like

Horseradish is lovely… something else to add to the shopping list for the weekend, haven’t cooked roast beef for ages

Years I bought some young horseradish plants and grew them on in a large container in the garden. They took a little while to get established but it was worth it.

It can be invasive, hence the container.

2 Likes

Love roast beef too. Had special steaks for Sunday night, needed an iron boost both daughter and I and added brocolis of course.

One thing I find great to buy at my local Lidl. Peppered Roast Beef remnants. Ready-cooked and haphazardly cut but it makes great sarnies lol.

Leftovers cooked joint of roast beef, chopped up, add cooked diced potatoes, diced up an onion or two and traditionally cooked in lard but I prefer butter. Gramps called it Beef Hash!

2 Likes

I also enjoy wasabi but just a wee bit with the ginger and it’s usually with sushi. I don’t eat raw fish sushi though. Only cooked seafood.

2 Likes