What’s New in Windows 10’s October 2018 Update

I’ve followed option two on the link Ray. Keeping the adapter power on maximum. See if that helps…

I’ll give it a try.

I get that occasionally, but I’ve always thought it was either the Virgin router or something in the connection outside.

When it does happen, I unplug the router for a couple of minutes (as VM recommends) and the connection miraculously reappears.

Okay guys! Windows 10 is not the monster I thought it was going to be and in most areas it works just fine, However, visiting this site has presented me with some problems. It sometimes goes very slow, and when posting it hangs for a couple of minutes (time to copy before it disappears) and then disconnects from the internet.

Troubleshooting reveals that the adaptor needs resetting, it’s terribly frustrating. So a search of various dark corners and the disabling of various bits of unwanted clutter - Including the energy saving sleeping thingy on the internet - non of which has made a scrap of difference…:frowning:

So in desperation (before I do a Brucey clean out…Eeek) I turned off the firewall…and the problem has melted away before my very eyes…:shock:
I don’t like running without a ‘Firewall’ and each time I shut down the computer, microsoft, being the good guys that they are, turn it back on again…Bless…:slight_smile:

Any ideas?

As a first step, read this article and then Download the Windows Firewall Troubleshooter from Microsoft.

:024:

Cheers Omah, but even with the firewall turned off the problem still exists…:frowning:
A quick use of the ‘Troubleshooter’ reveals that the adapter is to blame (whatever that is) and fixes the problem…For a while anyway.
It looks like Bruce’s suggestion is looking more like a solution…:017:

I am not sure that is a solution for your problem. I would be checking that all my drivers are up to date first off.

The computer is only a fortnight old Bruce…:confused:

I have a feeling that even a brand new computer might need its drivers updating.

I seem to remember mine needed it.

Worth checking.

Thanks JB, I’ll look into that…:wink:

There has been a development…:cool:
It appears that when the power cable is attached there are no problems at all concerning my wifi connection…
Looks like somewhere in the bowels of windows 10 it’s trying to conserve battery power by keeping normal operations short…:frowning:

I can’t see anything in Power Options other than what I think might be the default setting of putting the computer to sleep (mine is set to 1 hour) when not plugged in.

It’s not something I have really bothered about as I almost always use it plugged in.

I have seen a ‘Power saving Option’ but have never used it however iit might be worth entering ‘power saving’ in Settings or Control Panel search box and seeing what you can change.

Some of the default settings that either Windows or the manufacturer set seem a bit odd to me. For example the power button is often set to ‘Sleep’ rather than ‘Turn off Computer’ and is one of the first things I check on a new computer. I would be a modestly rich man if I had $10 from each of the people who have come to me saying their new laptop battery is always flat.

It is invariably because they put their computer to sleep rather than turning it off. Closing the ‘lid’ is usually set to send the laptop to sleep which I think is sensible so why is the power button set the same way?

As an aside my original Lenovo laptop (T420s) has a physical switch on the side of the case that switches the wifi off. You can do it electronically but having the switch is really handy for setting up modems using a cable for example.

My new laptop doesn’t have this feature and, while it isn’t the end of the world, it was very handy.

I agree. I have done the same things.
Closing the lid of my laptop does nothing, and I have set the ‘on’ button to turn off the computer completely when pressed.
I have no use for ‘hibernate’ or ‘sleep’, and I agree that these should not be set as defaults.

Thanks Bruce and JB, I’ve had a poke about in the power saving gubbins and readjusted some of the settings.
I’ve also no use for the ‘Sleep’ facility, so I’ve made the power shut off on closing the lid and on the power button.
It was also set to sleep after just five minutes on both the battery and plugged in modes, so I’ve bumped them both up to 30 minutes…

I hope it solves your problems.

Incidentally, I set mine to sleep after 30 minutes only on battery mode, as there is no need to save energy when plugged in. A personal choice, of course.

Thanks JB, and I can see your point about saving energy when plugged in, I’ll adjust it immediately…:wink:

It does seem strange though, why the wifi cuts out when on battery power but not when it’s plugged in…:017:

I thought it might be the WiFi cutting out when the computer went to sleep.
Presumably, though, it is still doing it after the changes you have made.

That’s my preference too but with sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity on battery and I do like sleep set when I close the lid.

The problem with setting a time on mains power is that it could be in the middle of doing something long winded (for example rendering a movie) and I am pretty sure it only monitors external inputs (keyboard, mouse) so it will sleep while it is still busily doing something if it is not set to ‘never’