What’s New in Windows 10’s October 2018 Update

There’s a ‘Network Internet access’ icon next to the clock. Right-clicking on that brings up a ‘Troubleshoot problems’ option. Left-clicking on that will start a ‘Detecting problems’ procedure to see if Windows can find anything that needs rectifying.

Does the problem happen when using a different browser?

Thanks Mart, I’ve just tried to send this message and got disconnected again.
I’ll have a look in ‘internet access’ and see what I can find.
I’ve only got google chrome as my browser Mart, I’m very reluctant to wake up ‘The Edge’ after I have disabled it…
I have to copy everything now before I post just in case it drops out again…very frustrating…:frowning:

PS:- I’m just wondering if the wi fi signal is dropping out for some reason, maybe out of range’ish…I’ll try my ethernet cable tomorrow…:115:

Thanks for the video Bruce, very informative.
Went through everything mentioned, some I had already disabled and there was some I hadn’t that I should have …:smiley:

That’s probably a very good idea. In my experience anyway, wifi signals can be relied upon to be unreliable!

I am not sure your problems are WIN10 related Wifi could be the area to check.

There are several apps for your phone (search on wifi analyser apps) which can show the channels used by the local routers. You might find your neighbour is on the same channel. Most router default to a certain channel and that might be the same as your neighbours so it could be just a matter of logging into your router and setting the channel to something like 12.

Look at the congestion at about channel 11 - actually they are too weak to cause much trouble but it is wise to avoid it. BTW obviously the big bumps are my routers.

I tend to use the 5Gb band because there is only me on it - this is the more normal 2.4Gb band

I’ve just done that … thanks … :023:

Attached are my results.

Just a couple of additions/corrections to my previous post.

Silly typo- the bands are 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz not Gb of course.

Also I should have mentioned that the reality is that the 12 channels overlap adjacent ones; if you have three routers then you can only set them to 1, 6 and 11 if they are not to overlap. I only operate two normally but if I have visitors staying then I turn on a third for that rather dead zone in my house.

Wired connections in the house are best, much faster than wifi. Many years ago before wifi was affordable I wired up each room in my house with cat5 cable so I am fortunate that I have an RJ45 outlet in every room but wifi is obviously needed for laptops, tablets and phones. Actually most of the wired connections are now taken up by TVs, PVRs, amplifiers, NASs and my server plus, of course, this desktop.

Bugger, there was something else I wanted to add but it has gone…

Thanks again Bruce but I don’t have a smartphone.
I’ve been posting today using an ethernet cable and it hasn’t dropped out once and it’s so fast.
I do believe it’s something to do either with windows 10 or this computer.
I was running my old netbook with windows 7 side by side when it kept dropping out, and the internet was still working on the netbook. I think it might be a range problem on the new computer, but the netbook stays connected even in the summer house down the yard…:shock:

Was it happening when you first got the computer?

No I don’t think it was Mart…:017:
Could it be that ‘The Edge’ is in conflict with google Chrome?
I keep getting pop ups proclaiming the benefit of ‘The Edge’ over Chrome…Speed and the like…:confused:

I even had this new computer working online in the summer house this afternoon…:038: So it doesn’t look like a range problem…

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but have you made Chrome your default browser?

I’m not sure if being too fastidious in disabling this or that could cause the present problem but if the computer worked OK to start with …well possibly.

My own computer is pretty much how a clean installation of Windows 10 comes out of the box but I allow all updates. The only parts changed that aren’t standard are the Registry files that altered the behaviour of the search. Everything else has been turned off using the switches Microsoft provides in the user interface.

Although not used much, Edge has been left working but set up with a different search engine and home page. The only other change made to the system is using Bitdefender instead of Windows Defender. The computer is working very well but I have to say it is on a wired Internet connection.

However, Mrs Mart’s Surface Pro (running Windows 10 with all updates) is set up similarly and it is working well on wi-fi.

Edit: It would be good to try another browser just for elimination purposes. I’ve got Firefox, Chrome and Edge installed and working to have a look at.

Yes indeedy JB, I like Chrome, I used to use IE until there was some things I couldn’t do anymore without upgrading to the next edition, so I downloaded Chrome and have loved it ever since…

Thanks Mart, I’ve only deleted stuff that I know I will never use, games mainly. All the rest I’ve just disabled. The computer works perfectly well when wired, and only seems to be troublesome in certain locations. At a push I can live with it, and it’s unlikely that I would download a different browser, Chrome is definitely my prefered browser…I could end up with with five hundred quids worth of scrap if I mess too much…:026:

I’ve just come across this aricle while browsing:

Fix Windows 10 WiFi Intermittent Disconnects Problem

It’s worth reading through first, though, before trying any of the solutions, since some may not apply to you.

:slight_smile:

Thanks Omah, I knew it was something to do with windows 10…I will digest the information you’ve found and report back…Thank again…:023:

I sometimes get this problem on this win10 laptop, especially if I wake it from sleep. It connects fine to the router but with the “internet not available” error. I’m pretty sure it’s an issue with the wifi card driver (Broadcom) but there is no update available. It was ok on win7.

I’ve followed option two on the link Ray. Keeping the adapter power on maximum. See if that helps…

I’ll give it a try.

I get that occasionally, but I’ve always thought it was either the Virgin router or something in the connection outside.

When it does happen, I unplug the router for a couple of minutes (as VM recommends) and the connection miraculously reappears.

Okay guys! Windows 10 is not the monster I thought it was going to be and in most areas it works just fine, However, visiting this site has presented me with some problems. It sometimes goes very slow, and when posting it hangs for a couple of minutes (time to copy before it disappears) and then disconnects from the internet.

Troubleshooting reveals that the adaptor needs resetting, it’s terribly frustrating. So a search of various dark corners and the disabling of various bits of unwanted clutter - Including the energy saving sleeping thingy on the internet - non of which has made a scrap of difference…:frowning:

So in desperation (before I do a Brucey clean out…Eeek) I turned off the firewall…and the problem has melted away before my very eyes…:shock:
I don’t like running without a ‘Firewall’ and each time I shut down the computer, microsoft, being the good guys that they are, turn it back on again…Bless…:slight_smile:

Any ideas?