What’s New in Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB5005565

Microsoft has shipped new cumulative updates to Windows 10 devices as part of its regular Patch Tuesday cycle, and needless to say, the latest versions of the operating system are among those getting new updates as well.

Windows 10 version 2004, 20H2, and 21H1 are provided with the same cumulative update because they share a similar code base, so the improvements they’re getting are pretty much the same.

The update available for download on devices running these Windows 10 versions is KB5005565, and it’s mostly aimed at fixing the PowerShell security bug that has been exposing computers powered by Microsoft’s operating system.

The company explains that this update “addresses an issue that causes PowerShell to create an infinite number of child directories. This issue occurs when you use the PowerShell Move-Item command to move a directory to one of its children. As a result, the volume fills up and the system stops responding.”

Known issues in this update

As for the known issues, this update comes with two of them, both inherited from previous releases.

The first of them concerns Microsoft Edge Legacy, which has already been removed from Windows. Microsoft says that only devices with Windows installation created from custom offline media or custom ISO images could end up hitting a bug where the new Edge isn’t installed, so if your PC is configured to receive updates from Windows Update, everything should be just fine.

“To avoid this issue, be sure to first slipstream the SSU released March 29, 2021 or later into the custom offline media or ISO image before slipstreaming the LCU. To do this with the combined SSU and LCU packages now used for Windows 10, version 20H2 and Windows 10, version 2004, you will need to extract the SSU from the combined package,” Microsoft says.

There are no failed installs reported or this cumulative update so far.

Installed OK … So far, so good … :wink:

Hi

I love your posts on this Omah.

I have no idea at all what you are talking about.

I am a techie nightmare, my nickname at work, apart from Yorkie ,was Gibbs.

From the NCIS character.

1 Like

I have to admit that nowadays, sometimes, I get left behind, too … :grin:

Do not fret you can get even more confused when Windows 11 comes out later this year, this was after Microsoft telling the world that Windows 10 would be the last operating system you will ever need.

The updates installed reasonably swiftly and everything runs okay without any glitches​:ok_hand::+1: