What makes a house a home for you personally?

I don’t like much furniture or artwork on the walls. I could be cheesy and say that it’s where all the people I love are. More practically, I’ll say it’s where I can see my favorite things.

What makes a house a home to you personally?

1 Like

The people ?
Love
Acceptance
Companionship

5 Likes

Home is where the heart is , isn’t it?
To me home equals to a safe place.
A place where kids, nephews , close friends know they are always welcome, any time .
A nice cosy warm room, with the scent of fresh coffee brewing or hot chocolate and/
or pan cakes for the kids is a plus.

I remember as a kid, nothing felt better than coming home after school to the smell of delicious pancakes on the way to our stomach.

4 Likes

A house becomes a home when the mortgage is fully paid down!

4 Likes

Lol then many families are homeless…To me a paid mortgage is an investment. :wink:

2 Likes

Hi Mei, are you extending invites? I reckon you’d best prepare for a busload of us coming. It sounds most inviting :wink:

3 Likes

Hubby. When he is missing, it’s colder and darker.

5 Likes

I think it’s having a safe and secure ‘cave’ for me and my family, a space of our own to sleep, eat and be together and a refuge from the outside world And a place for family and friends to meet up and be welcome too

So what’s in it and how grand doesn’t matter too much, when we’re on holiday a caravan or hotel room become ‘home’, it really is the feeling of it being your space

But it’s nice if it’s warm and clean, the bills paid and secure, with food in the fridge and cupboards, a nice bed, my books, a place so I can cook for everyone, somewhere comfy to sit and somewhere to display a few of my treasures and space to be creative and relaxed enough that we can all just be ourselves and together

9 Likes

You’re all welcome but we’ll take turn ‘’ flipping’’ the pancakes. :sweat_smile:
:pancakes: :pancakes: :pancakes:

2 Likes

Fun! Party at mei’s home! :partying_face:

4 Likes

A happy dog snoozing peacefully

6 Likes

For me it is that feeling of having your own cosy, safe and secure haven, which you can arrange as you wish, to suit the needs of yourself and your family.
A safe place to relax, eat, sleep, play, potter around in and generally re-charge your batteries away from the outside world.

Earlier in my adult life, before I bought a home of my own,I’ve lived in a mixture of hostels, army married quarters and police-owned houses while my husband was moved around in those services.
Those places were never quite as perfect as having your own house to arrange exactly as you would like it but, for me, having a secure roof over my head, a bit of space to call my own and arrange a few of my own belongings, a clean bed, reasonable bathroom and laundry facilities and enough to eat were the essential things for me to be able to relax in it.
Once I’d thoroughly cleaned our living space, unpacked and arranged things to suit our tastes and needs, I could start to relax and think of it as home.

5 Likes

For me it is being able to be comfortable without having to think about whats lurking around the corner.

3 Likes

The people you share it with, but I live alone now.

1 Like

We were married in 1972 and lived in a couple of flats, one of which did feel like home. In 1973 we purchased a bungalow that was still under construction. We moved in and we are still there after 50 years. The things that make it feel like home is obviously Mrs Fox first, but the history behind the fixtures and fitting carefully chosen by Mrs Fox and me. The holiday items, the celebrations, the memories of our daughter growing up there, the Christmases entertaining our Mum’s and Dad’s now sadly long gone, but now visits by our daughter and two granddaughters, and memories of our last cat who passed away in 2020. The house never seemed empty when there was a cat sleeping in her basket when we returned home from a day out. She was always pleased to see us. Our home truly fits the description of ‘An Englishman’s home is his castle’ and Englishwoman’s…I reckon I’ll be carried out in a box before I’ll ever leave this place.

3 Likes

Forgot to add and now Jigsaw is giving me dirty looks……

A cat, a cat helps a lot and is essential, really……

5 Likes

Of course - because it’s not actually your home. You have only been given permission by the cat to live there to serve the cat food and tend to their every need. You have built this wonderful comfortable place purely for your cat’s comfort. I get complaints if my service is not as it should be!

4 Likes

And quite right too!

1 Like

The warm and safe atmosphere – a place I can be completely relaxed and enjoy children’s/grandchildren’s artwork without criticism, a place where there is no judgment – just me surrounded in loving memories, cat purring contentedly beside me.

4 Likes

I don’t feel comfortable in houses that are too bare. They are like walking through a showroom. A woman over the road has nothing out at all in her kitchen, everything is in cupboards and all the worktops are completely bare. All the rooms are the same. It is most unwelcoming.

I don’t like loads of clutter and dust but I do like some colour and some interesting objects.

3 Likes