What is where you live famous for

Norma Gunston and Mohammed Ali

1 Like

Here in North Ayrshire there are theories that Kilwinning Abbey could be the final resting place of the Holy Grail as it is said that the town and surrounding area was home to a high concentration of Knights Templar. A few years ago there was more speculation that the Holy Grail may indeed still be in Kilwinning, resulting in some previously neglected back gardens being introduced to gardening equipment previously lying abandoned in garden sheds. - all to no avail, I must add!

Next to the Abbey is Mother Lodge No 0, the oldest established Mason’s lodge in the world although the present building only dates back to 1893.

1 Like

Here from the Southern Hemisphere.

Known for :rugby_football: rugby
The Big Five
Table Mountain
Nelson Mandela

2 Likes

St Marys Church. Built around the year 1080 by Robert De Watville. A real Medieval Jewel.

1 Like

Never been to Shrewsbury but the longest street of shops is definitely on my list now :+1:t2:

Must be one long party in your area :tada:

When visiting Jimmy Page the butler disappears and I hear Pages squeaky voice saying: show him to the armoury. I know the armoury is on the first floor so I leg it up there only to find other celebs hanging around hopefully. So I grab a geetar, do a couple of the loudest twangs only to get thrown out.

1 Like

A window in Thrums.

1 Like

The film “On the Beach” was set here.

Starring Gregory Peck and Ava Gardner.

As she said ‘On the beach is a story about the end of the world and Melbourne sure is the right place to film it’.

2 Likes

When the end comes, you won’t get your ten pound back you know! let Bruce and gummy know :grin:

1 Like

my ten pound I worked out has acrrued to 2 million so far and I have donated it to a worthy cause already

Rod Serling, of The Twilight Zone, born and hometown, 30 miles away.
Peewee Herman, born 20 miles away, hometown.
National Baseball Hall of Fame, 40 miles away.

1 Like

Burtons Bicuits-home of the Jammy Dodger
IMG_0009
Edward VIII visited prior to his abdication but I can’t find any pictures( they are somewhere on the WWW!
And we were a major player on the Athletics circuit before the council decided to neglect the stadium.
We have a boating lake where they filmed the canoeing for Superstars.
And you can see me if you track down the programme!

Cwmbran

1 Like

Newby Hall
my house used to be owned by Newby Hall

Https://.newbyhall.com

For some reason that link hasn’t connected
dont know why
I wish I were more computer savvy.

1 Like

Here’s a clickable link

absolutely lovely!

2 Likes

Thankyou dOOd
I’m useless with computers :blush:

Just copy the address from the address bar, and paste it in your post.

It looks like you typed it in yourself 
 made 1 or 2 little mistakes. :neutral_face:

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that close to the sea in my area can be found a large holiday complex run by Butlins, where day visitors are welcome and the site now boasts a large conference centre.

2 Likes

Boot and Shoe Industry
‘Cobblers’ Football Team
‘Saints’ Rugby Team
‘Steelbacks’ Cricket Team
Des O’Connor - lived here after being evacuated from London during the war - worked in shoe factory before becoming professional singer.
Royal Theatre - Victorian theatre now incorporated in Derngate Theatre complex.

1 Like

The Mary Rose ,Nelson ,The Victory , The Dockyard & Navy.
The Solent
Hovercraft it’s the only regular hovercraft service in the world.
The beach .
Old Portsmouth. Gunwharf the Spinnaker Tower
It’s the U.K. only island city
the city in parts is a bit of a hell hole I avoid.

I love living by the sea.

3 Likes